Rear Cam Plug

OnVacation

So, I'm relatively certain that its my rear cam plug that is causing the exxon valdez act out the rear of my engine. I got the plugs in today, and I'm pulling the tranny this weekend with a buddy. Does anyone have a picture or diagram for which plug I'm looking to replace? I've also got a new rear main, but I'm not planning on pulling it unless I'm not sold that the leak is from the cam plug.

Anything else I need to look for while I'm in there? Clutch has under 10K on it, so I'm planning on keeping that in place.

I'd think it'd be obvious, but things haven't always been so.

It could be the tappet galley, the rubber gasket get pretty brittle sometimes.

Has the cam plug been replaced? If not it would be rare for the cam plug or the
tappet plug to leak.

Keep us informed..

It could be the tappet galley, the rubber gasket get pretty brittle sometimes.

Has the cam plug been replaced? If not it would be rare for the cam plug or the
tappet plug to leak.

Keep us informed..

Cam plug has not been replaced, but the leak started right after the camshaft snapped in half, so I'm guessing that the cam pushed the plug out. I'll find out this weekend hopefully.

Yah know somethin wild? The CR's don't even have a plug... The Bellhousing adapter plate just seals it off! So, do yourself a favor, when you replace that plug, smear some silicone around it and seal it to the adapter plate too. Then you'll be guarranteed no leak. :)

Cam plug has not been replaced, but the leak started right after the camshaft snapped in half, so I'm guessing that the cam pushed the plug out. I'll find out this weekend hopefully.

OUCH!
Good reason to suspect the cam plug, hopefully that's all it needs.

cam plug just fell out when we removed the adapter plate. luckily, everything else seems to be good. the good folks at south bend are sending me a new install tool for the clutch, and I'm going to replace the rear main while I'm in there, looks like its got a slight leak. I'm not sure its not from the cam plug, but there is more oil there than I'm comfortable, and I can't put the transmission back in yet anyways.

Next on the list: Pull oil pan for adding turbo drain lines, replace rear main, and rebuild turbos... I'm inching closer to the finish line, slowly but surely.

cam plug just fell out when we removed the adapter plate. luckily, everything else seems to be good. the good folks at south bend are sending me a new install tool for the clutch, and I'm going to replace the rear main while I'm in there, looks like its got a slight leak. I'm not sure its not from the cam plug, but there is more oil there than I'm comfortable, and I can't put the transmission back in yet anyways.

Next on the list: Pull oil pan for adding turbo drain lines, replace rear main, and rebuild turbos... I'm inching closer to the finish line, slowly but surely.

Did the new clutch installation tool come in??

Yeah, SBC hooked me up. They also gave me the specs on the clutch as new, and I should have lots of life left in mine.
Just got the transmission and t-case put back in this weekend. Waiting to get the turbos back now.

^^ Good to hear!

it was much easier going in. i'm attributing it to the fact that we cleaned everything while it was apart. the bellhousing had almost a 1/4" thick coating of oil, grease and debris when we pulled it from the turbo and cam plug. everything looked so purty...

Hope you took some pics! I was in grease up to my armpits a few weeks ago pulling the head off my 12valve.. Nasty nasty stuff :bang

The cam plug has an o-ring that goes in behind it. Use red locktite on the plug when you put it back in! Hammer the plug flat.

Back