rear end question

G-dubs

Thanks to Bank of Jessica
So who runs a spool or has the stock differential welded up on a daily driver? how do you like it? how is it on wet windy roads?

Got a friend who has his welded and drives it a few days a week or on the weekends. Don't know about the wet roads part. If you don't mind buying tires then itd be great. Pavment has eaten his BFGs up bad.

got one in the buick.. rear isnt as light as a truck but it goes and stops great. even able to drive on the little bit of ice we get here.. but tires last about 10k miles. just be easy on the right pedal in the wet and no cruise control in the wet

You don't even notice it unless your at low speeds, like a a parking lot or something. Then it can be annoying. And personally I have never been able to tell a difference on a wet road at normal speeds either, whether it was in my car, truck, or Jeep. All the stories people tell you about wrecking and spinning out is ridiculous IMO. But it will be harder on your drivetrain, and of course your tires.

You don't even notice it unless your at low speeds, like a a parking lot or something. Then it can be annoying. And personally I have never been able to tell a difference on a wet road at normal speeds either, whether it was in my car, truck, or Jeep. All the stories people tell you about wrecking and spinning out is ridiculous IMO. But it will be harder on your drivetrain, and of course your tires.

x2!!! Doesn't matter if it's a locker, a good LS, or welded....both tires are going to spin when it's wet or snowy/icey out! The real down fall of a welded rear is if ya haul/tow big loads...that's hard on parts!!!

x2!!! Doesn't matter if it's a locker, a good LS, or welded....both tires are going to spin when it's wet or snowy/icey out! The real down fall of a welded rear is if ya haul/tow big loads...that's hard on parts!!!

x2!!! it didn't take me long to kill a GM corporate 14-bolt with a spool. Bearings went out in it and it wasn't nice to U-joints. Ate tires like a mo-fo and it seemed to get more squirrelly in wet conditions. But then again, I'm used to open differentials :bang

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Welded spider gears when done properly is the best locker you'll never have to buy. More predictable handling around corners than non selectable lockers like a Detroit or Grizzly. Same with inclement weather. As far as combating the rapidly increased tire wear goes, rotate your tires as often as you change your oil and that will help. You'll still notice the increased wear but rotating your tires every time you change your truck's oil will help prolong tire life a bit.

Scott

For sure, I wouldn't tow with it locked. I'm pretty sure that's why I snapped the axle on my 10.5 in my old F250. Ruined the entire housing and had to replace it :bang

Back