Rear Freez Plug Question

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
I'm in the middle of my compounds project and want to go ahead and make a strap which holds the rear freeze plug in from blowing out using the two bolt holes on either side of the block. I need to know two things:
1. What is the thread dimensions of these holes?
2. How far are they apart from each other (need someone with a block out of the truck to answer)?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

The bolt holes are m12x1.75.

I made a plate with the holes 6.5" apart, seemed to fit pretty good. My engine is still in the truck so I couldn't measure the spacing, I found the 6.5" number after some web searching and it worked.

The bolt holes are m12x1.75.

I made a plate with the holes 6.5" apart, seemed to fit pretty good. My engine is still in the truck so I couldn't measure the spacing, I found the 6.5" number after some web searching and it worked.

Excellent info, thanks!

cummins also has a cast piece with an oring that is a stock part, that is what i used

cummins also has a cast piece with an oring that is a stock part, that is what i used

It looks like there are some options running around like this but not sure if taking the stock freez plug out with the motor in the truck is a reasonable option. I did see there was a plate pure diesel power sells with an option for "stock plug".

Dodge 5.9 Rear Block Freeze Plug Plate IIS1224VPPSS

I am also awaiting a response from Taylor as he shot me a pm about another potential option.

It looks like there are some options running around like this but not sure if taking the stock freez plug out with the motor in the truck is a reasonable option. I did see there was a plate pure diesel power sells with an option for "stock plug".

Dodge 5.9 Rear Block Freeze Plug Plate IIS1224VPPSS

I am also awaiting a response from Taylor as he shot me a pm about another potential option.

I just reached up and bolted it in over the freezeplug, cleaned the paint off so the oring would seal, and boom, if the plug ever blows out it will be retained and it will never leak anyways.

I just reached up and bolted it in over the freezeplug, cleaned the paint off so the oring would seal, and boom, if the plug ever blows out it will be retained and it will never leak anyways.

Do you have a part number or link for this piece? I am assuming it is not the same as the billet pieces being sold like the one I linked to above?

Do you have a part number or link for this piece? I am assuming it is not the same as the billet pieces being sold like the one I linked to above?

stand by I'll look, its a cast piece with 1/2 NPT plug in it and a square oring.

no dice, sorry, only one I have is on my truck

Last edited:
I see. Huh, I figured you had to remove the freeze plug to put those in.

not this one, I'm sure Jeff would know what it is? it was from a school bus engine where the rear port went to the heaters in the back of the bus.

it seals on the back of the block itself, so there is no real reason to remove the plug.

Talked to Pure Diesel Power. They indicated that plate will work with the stock plug so that's the way I decided to go.

Back