Rear u joint broke help

Legendarydslper

Well the truck spit a u joint and dropped the rear drive shaft. How do you remove the drive shaft from the carrier that attaches the two? Is there a stronger u joint to put in? Any advise is great I haven't messed around with this before.

not sure on how to remove driveshaft as mine is a one piece drive shaft but about the only upgrade would be 1480 u joints and yokes

I'm 99% sure the carier bearing is pressed on.

If you want a stronger u-joint you will also have to get a new yoke.

I would just put a new Spicer or Neapco (Made in the USA ones) that are NON-Greasable. The Non greasables are MUCH stronger.

Heres stronger/upgraded 1480 pinion yoke and U-joint.
Pure Diesel Power

Heres the stock Spicer Non-greasable one.
Spicer 1410 Solid Non Greasable U-Joint

FWIW, I just had a new driveshaft built. I went from a 2-piece unit to a 1-piece unit. I also went up 2 wall sizes to a .095" wall. It sure does make driveshaft removal easy. I have had it up to 120mph with zero vibrations. It cosm me $250.00. That was 2-new spicer u-joints, new tube, milling of the stock yoke, balancing and painting.
Garrett from Pure Diesel Power runs a 1-piece on his puller, which has ALOT more HP mine and your truck has. His driveshaft is .120" wall. I told my driveshaft builder and he said thats the wall thickness they use on semis.:hehe:

Last edited:
Well I think my only option is to unbolt the carrier bearing, and the front drive shaft and drop it in one piece. Unless anyone has any other ideas? Im surprised the rear drive shaft doesn't slide out from the carrier bearing, i tugged on it a little before class to see.

The carrier bearing is pressed on.
You have to remove the whole driveshaft as one unit.

By any chance did you read my other post? It had both answers for your questions.

Yeah I read the post real quick while I was in class. That seems like a great price for that drive shaft.

I wasnt sure what you meant by the carrier bearing being pressed on, and i thought you where talking about something else.

Taking a driveshaft out of an old mopar is alot simpler than this haha

:bang

Hmmmm......my 2 piece slides apart (rear shaft). Disconnect from pumpkin via 4 bolts and slide shaft out of carrier. Front shaft I believe is pressed on???????

YOur right the rear piece of the drive shaft should pull off the front part. the splines where the two pieces meet is after the carrier bearing. Only one thing make sure you remove the clip that holds the rubber dust cover from one side or the other otherwise your just pulling the rubber and it will not slip appart.

Has anyone upgraded the carrier bearing???

Back