red fuel

Not sure what kind of "motors" you're talking about, but red fuel is a lot higher in Sulpher than LSD.......:confused:

Im not positive but I had read a while back, red fuel will also be the same as ULSD except the dye ofcourse.

IM pretty sure im referring to the 6.7 since I posted it in a 6.7 forum

This would be a great place for an :eek:wned: sign.

I seriously doubt red fuel is made to ULSD stardards yet. I could be wrong but it smokes like hell in my truck! :D

I wouldn't risk it dude. It ain't worth it to have an engine fail and Dodge cancel your warranty due to a tank probe. $.02

IM pretty sure im referring to the 6.7 since I posted it in a 6.7 forum

Should have noticed that.:doh: I just saw it in the "new posts" column. I'm sure you already know this, but red fuel is illegal to run on the highway in all 50 states AND it will void your warranty. Up to you whether it's worth the risk..........

Nevada Officials: Illegal Use of Red Dye Diesel Costly

A month after regulations for non-road, locomotive and marine diesel took effect and 13 months after the June 1, 2006 four-year phase-in of ultra-low sulfur diesel specifications, Nevada’s Highway Patrol is cracking down on the illegal use of off-road red dye diesel, which some truckers use to save on fuel costs, according to a report by the Associated Press.

The special fuel, dyed to distinguish it from on-road diesel fuel and sold only for off-road uses such as in farming equipment, is exempt from federal and state taxes which makes it roughly 50cts gal cheaper than the on-road fuel. Currently, the state’s retail on-highway diesel price hovers over $3.00 gal.

State regulations require purchasers of the dyed special fuel to complete and sign an agreement, available from the supplier or retailer, pertaining to the intended use. The minimum fine for illegal use of the fuel is $2,500 for the first infraction with a second offense carrying a cost of $5,000 should the violation occur within four years of the first offense. A third violation within four years carries a penalty of $10,000. Violators run the risk of having their license suspended.

Additionally, access to pumps or bulk tanks containing the fuel is to be controlled and restricted “to only those persons who have been pre-approved by the proprietor of the pump or bulk tank.” If access is not controlled, Nevada’s Department of Transportation may impose a fine of $10,000 for each violation.

According to a DOT spokeswoman in the Motor Carrier division, the practice of random tank checks is “nothing new” and pertains not only to commercial truckers, but all diesel vehicles.

Calls to the NHP were not immediately returned.

Federal regulations mandated the sulfur content in NRLM distillate be cut from 3,000 parts per million to a maximum of 500ppm effective June 1. It was one-year earlier on that date that regulations lowering on-highway diesel from 500ppm to 15ppm took effect. ULSD will be required in non-road diesel engines in 2010 and for locomotives and marine engines in 2012.

From Dodge TSB # 14-007-06..
- ** Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel (15 ppm of sulfur or less and meeting ASTM D975 - grade S-15) is required for use in Dodge Ram Trucks equipped with a 6.7L diesel.
** Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel (preferred) or Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel (500 ppm of sulfur or less) are required for use in Dodge Ram Trucks equipped with a 5.9L diesel engine. **
- Off-highway diesel fuel (i.e. farm or marine use diesel fuel) that does not meet Ultra Low Sulfur Highway or Low Sulfur Highway fuel specifications is NOT acceptable. Unknown sulfur and water content and unknown cetane number may adversely affect the performance of the engine and fuel injection system.

Most dyed diesel is ulsd now. Its not a matter if it will hurt your truck from dyed fuel, its how clean is the tank the dyed fuel came from. Most people that run it are farmers and they dont have the cleanest tanks. You will be fine running it in your truck for motor reasons just dont get caught.

Most dyed diesel is ulsd now. Its not a matter if it will hurt your truck from dyed fuel, its how clean is the tank the dyed fuel came from. Most people that run it are farmers and they dont have the cleanest tanks. You will be fine running it in your truck for motor reasons just dont get caught.

What he said!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^:evil

I just wish someone who actaully knows could tell us if all clear diesel is ULSD now. I have been told by the gentleman that owns the station west of me that ALL diesel regaurdless of the stickers on the pumps is now ULSD. I think until LSD is not available at the pumps Dodge can kiss a fat one. You can't require folks to burn something that isn't available everywhere. If ULSD wasn't available except for a station 30 miles down the road from me when LSD is right across the street, you can beat your sweet checks that puppy would have LSD in it. I think the "warranty void" problem is the biggest bunch of bull crap since $129.00 a barrel crued oil. :D $.02

We have ran off road fuel in the '00 and it smokes more, smells more, and gets better fuel mileage, about another 1.5 mpg more. Get it for 3.60 a gallon, and it is HIGH sulfur, really high, for construction equipment. IIRC, its 500 ppm. Our racor fuel filter bowl was bright red till it got covered in road grime, I think that is a good thing...

Has anyone found any dyes that would change the color? I've heard of them, just dont know.

we get it delivered to the farm by co-op and i get about a mpg or 2 better than the usld road fuel, i cant tell if it smokes more or not......:st: but who runs red fuel? :badidea:

Can't say for sure down there, but my sister worked as a engineer for Husky oil for years and our dyed diesel, is identical to clear diesel, except for the dye. It gets the same process, right down to the end, were it gets the dye.

On the farm here I don't even buy clear fuel, and have never had a problem, I prefilter all my fuel before it goes into any equipment so that might help.

I know in California it is the same diesel just with dye so I would imagine it would hold true most everywhere but the fine sucks for running it on road

THE new ultra low sulpher is only 50 ppm sulpher content
old lsd was 500ppm
now off road and home heating oil is 500 ppm

i have ran off road fuel mechanical pump. only difference is dyed red and better sulpher content better lubricity

We run the red fuel in all our new John Deere irrigation pumps. We have it delivered in 2000 gal quantities to a large tank and then distribute it out to the other tanks. We also use it in our own trucks and have been for a while. Heck, even the secretaries little 2008 Volkswagen gets 38 mpg on the red fuel. Paperwork that we get from the supplier states that it is Off-Road ULSD. I just use a lubricant when I use it in my 12v or any engine that has a mechanical injection pump.

I guess my biggest question is why would you want to run red fuel?
It's only $.50 cheaper a gallon right, so thats like $15 a tank.
And for that $15 a tank that you save you're risking voiding your warranty, screwing up your injection and emission system, and possibly a hefty fine if you get caught with it.

Doesn't seem real smart to me.
Ya bought a $45k truck and the $15 that you're gonna save is gonna make THAT big of difference???

Back