Redemption_5.9 Build

A couple quick pics I snagged on the way home. This ride height and wheel/tire setup turned out pretty freakin good. I’m stoked with how it’s coming together!

8c60854188a0a682d1b1a8fb6e9d2809.jpg

168aa6e7a051329332ad002c708741e0.jpg

8039815c62a182ccd383bbb28f622cba.jpg

09adb10bf948efa6206a41be0fb7f0d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We swapped to the race file, and the tune feels much better. Can spool the turbo in less than 10 seconds. So that’s good. But at WOT it still doesn’t feel as strong as it should, and it doesn’t blow any smoke. So idk if we have something tune related going on, or if it’s an issue with the truck. That will be determined at a later date.

Also, if you ever buy one of these cheap $100ish fuel cells, the caps blow @$$. Go ahead and invest in a nicer cap for it. When we put the of plastic cap in, it got stuck, and we had to pry it out. It ended up breaking. So we found this nice one on either eBay or amazon. Had the same bolt pattern and all. So fixed that problem.

5dc04d04b01f9b0aedc38801973e4c1b.jpg

2f4c0c4d78d897d3f1e719b04cbc440a.jpg

We took the truck to do some testing. For 100% stock fuel and stock stall, it spooled the 72 excellent! But... even on the race tune it feels really down on power. Seat of the pants feel I’d guess 450ish hp. Not sure at the moment if it’s tuning or truck related, but it definitely doesn’t seem to be getting the fuel. I don’t have a RP gauge in it yet, so I’m gonna get the hpt stuff figured out so I can check it on there.

We worked on the truck a little today in preparation for diesel truck wars. We are having a shifting issue. It’s hanging the 2-3 shift. We changed the solenoids, fluid and filter. That fixed a little shuttle shift we were having. But not the shift.

It’s not slipping, it just won’t shift under WOT. If you pedal it, it will shift. We adjusted the kickdown a little and that didn’t fix it, but we are going to adjust it a little more and see if that helps.

The odd thing is, if we launch it in manual, then column shift it into drive, it will make the shift. I’ll report back with what we find.

94746abcc1b18853386b6ed540b8bd6c.jpg

So Diesel Truck Wars netted some disappointing yet unexpected results.

We stayed up late Friday night messing with the truck. We couldn’t get the HPT scanner to connect to the truck so that we could trouble shoot the fueling issue we are experiencing.... so we decided to focus back on the trans.

We adjusted the kickdown some more... enough that it should have been shifting way early. Still seeing the same results. Also installed a lockup switch and tried the column shifting thing again. We couldn’t see any repeatable results.

We went into Q1 with low expectations... thankfully. The truck ran like an 11.4. Not shifting, and no power. Q2 we were able to get down to a 10.6. We made a couple of more tweaks and also got a scanner hooked up to monitor rail pressure. We went into a TNT round and got it to run a 10.2.

Going into E1 we knew nothing good was going to come of it. We just guessed and put up a 10.0 dial in, figuring oh well, if we break out we will be happy it went faster, but it did give a little wiggle room to pick up a little. From some stroke of luck, the truck ran a 10.007 and went to the second round... of which we got knocked out.

Overall it was an extremely frustrating weekend. We found that under WOT the truck is requesting around 24.5k rail. We are only getting 23-23.5k. Also, adjusting the kickdown, changing solenoids, fluid, and filter did nothing to help our shifting issues. We also noticed the front band has been adjusted as much as possible, so that now has us wondering if we have some excessive wear in the trans causing the issues on that side.

We are going to change the fluid, filters, and solenoids one more time to see if it helps (the fluid looked dirty the first time), and if not the trans will be coming out.

But on a positive note the truck did make it through a round at its first event, so I guess that’s a plus. Lol. I’ll touch base as we learn/find more

62cc21e2a2d435f55d962b3a6c93dc3f.jpg

We also noticed the front band has been adjusted as much as possible, so that now has us wondering if we have some excessive wear in the trans causing the issues on that side.

If you find that the band is worn out and the drum isn't shot you can swap a band in the truck, it's a pain in the ass but it beats pulling everything apart.

If you find that the band is worn out and the drum isn't shot you can swap a band in the truck, it's a pain in the ass but it beats pulling everything apart.

That’s possible, but if that band is worn I’m concerned about what else may be having issues. Especially with us looking to up the power a good bit next season. As of right now I think we are just going to go ahead and plan to pull the trans and go through it... as opposed to waiting until next race season and it giving out on our very first outing.

This build is awesome, I hope the trans isn't too destroyed inside. How is it driving on the street with the 1.5 coils cut? I really like the way this thing sits.

This build is awesome, I hope the trans isn't too destroyed inside. How is it driving on the street with the 1.5 coils cut? I really like the way this thing sits.

Thanks man.
As for the trans, it’s not too big of a deal. It can’t be but so bad. We are doing a new converter, and shafts throughout. Along with all new clutches and what not. At that point it can’t be but so much work lol.
And street driving feels good. I’d venture to say better than stock. Has good shocks tho, so that helps

Well, he’s been babying the truck around (in other words driving like a normal person) until we get a chance to drop the trans... and the turbo seals decided to go out and dump its guts in the parking lot at work lol

cb2ba40a610e94f7a9acf54a62767c9a.jpg

Well, it’s been a hot minute since I posted on here. I figured it would be good to do a little update on this truck. He got a set of Broto Metals with some Nitto 555r for them second hand, and it actually looks pretty good!

eafb0c4b20b76f88fc96c6bedba640fa.jpg

So we finally got things right and ready to start putting some work into this truck. First we took it to Tim at TRE to have them go through the trans. We found that the fluid was trash, even though we had just changed it not even 200 miles prior. 2nd gear was completely gone. They went through and completely rebuilt the trans, along with a Santjer solid input, a fresh DPC (stock stall) converter, and billet intermediate and oversized output shafts.

With the trans finally shifting, we went ahead and took it back to the track, just to see. With the trans shifting on its own, the truck picked up .3, going a 9.7 (1/8)… not impressive at all, I know. But the tuning is garbage. It’s making no power whatsoever and stops making power at 3700ish, but is pulling the gears out to 4200+… so it just falls on its face. Regardless, we just wanted a baseline.

Also, we got some goodies from our friends at S&S… a 12mm stroker pump and 250% over injectors. We have some 625s, valve springs, pushrods, and bridges as well… and then we have a head on the way from Kill Devil Diesel that’s been O-Ringed…so she’s about to be ready to ride now.

fb2009d082c4bbb622cce87856d808e8.jpg

Last night we took a couple of hours to start the tear down. This is what we found on the injectors and feed tubes.

12dbe9acb42222b461ba3474c70419b2.jpg

2385350c2c9a04fa0d5348ad8a5c7be9.jpg

Ok so a update on the truck… we finally got around to working on it again. We pulled everything off of the drivers side of the engine so that it could get a good coat of paint as well, just to clean it up a bit.

We also removed the heat shielding/sound deadening and put a coat on the firewall as well to make it look a little nicer.

The owner also decided that since it will see very little street driving, we would shed some weight. We gutted the doors and cut some plexiglass for them. I’ll post pics of that once we get them finished up.

Below, you will see that we went ahead and deleted all of the ac as well while we were at it. We pulled the dash and pulled the hvac box as well.
042d3d47d460ea2facb501b11f6eecfc.jpg

fb7c44d9c9f38d86211ef17900614116.jpg

Back