redneck fuel system

That's actually what I was originally going to do (incorporate a screen into a hellman style tank sump). I didn't have enough time to get the sump made so I'm just using a bulkhead fitting and external filter for now.

If the screen in the sump got plugged it would suck, but I really don't see how that would be any different than any of the stock style applications that all use some sort of filter sock or screen inside the tank to filter the fuel before it goes into the pump. If it were up to me on how to design it I would be trying to come up with a flanged type of screen that would sit on top of the flange inside the fuel tank. That way the screen would stay clear as the fuel sloshes around on it.

I was going to run the water sep. seemed logical to me, %90 of the on-highway rigs I work on have a sep before the pump.

Josh and his damned low-tech power monster.

If I run it with just the rock screen in the tank, i'm sure it would be fine, and cost me a great deal less. I still have to find some ORB 90* fittings to fit this pump.

I'll take pictures when I get my just back inside. It's all in a rubbermade tub in the bed of my truck right now.

I'm not really sure what the advantage to the new aero filters is?? I didn't look at them very closely.

I was going to run the water sep. seemed logical to me, %90 of the on-highway rigs I work on have a sep before the pump.

Interesting. Everything I've worked on has been the other way around. I haven't worked on too much HDT stuff though, just lighter duty MDT stuff.

I'm not really sure what the advantage to the new aero filters is?? I didn't look at them very closely.

The only advantage I see to them is that they have a ball valve in them so you can shut off your fuel supply. You can then disassemble the filter and clean it without losing a bunch of fuel.

i am plumbing mine that way too

if you want to boost ref it you have to

otherwise the rate wont be 1:1 and something bad might happen in the pump

opps

yea, sorry to steer ya wrong about the regulator

mine had been on the shelf for years and who knows where the instructions are

if we werent using the boost port i dont think it would matter which way we plumbed them but you are definately right - gotta return out of the bottom

again sorry for the bad info

now, what about a vent?

is the vented cap enough?

or do i have to make a vent out of the old return?

my system should flow a lot of fuel but with 5x14's i would think that most of it will be going back into the tank

should i make a second vent?

Why not run it and see if you need a bigger vent. You can leave the gas cap partially unscrewed or drill a hole in it until a proper vent can be added if the need arises.

Don

How did you end up Don?

I snapped some prelim shots
This shows the pump and filter arrangement, and the regulator.

for mostly just using a bunch of crap i had laying around i think i did alright

your pics didnt post

Can I run a male AN out of the stock fuel inlet port with a *90 hose end and not interfere with the throttle linkage?

The pictures that didn't post
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

That's a -4 elbow on the side of the reg for the injector return. It's a little out of perspective when compared to the -6 inket and outlet on the left side and bottom.

nice

i tried setting mine up that way but between interference and the fact that 90° fittings dont flow as well as the straight ones do i used a straight on it

how are you going to mount the pump down low?

thats what i need to do for mine, make a bracket to lower the pump down to the same level as the sump

not to make it flow more - it flows like crazy - but it will make it quietier and the fuel will be more dense at the pump

I thought long and hard about those 90s. nominal drop should only be 3 psi or so. I used them for packaging. Those tube nuts will have some nice gradually radiused tubes conntecting the pump and filters.
I'm either shooting for outside the frame behind the cab or mounted to the bed itself in the same location. Suction inlet should be at about 3/4 tank level. not too terrible.

I still have to fabricate the brackets to tie in those outter bolt holes in the filter bases and support the pump. Should be done tomorrow some time with that.

Then hurry up and wait on the fittings I need from mocal.

Do you know the answer to my inlet question?

You're feeding through the stock return?

Nap time.. More tomorrow

a 90 is too tight. it cleared my linkage but the shut off soleniod was in the way of where i wanted the hose to go. just run a straight

no, i threw all the stock lines away. everything. took the stock pick up thing apart and brazed some AN modified plugs on the ends of it. the return is -8 from the reg to the tank. tied the inj return into the reg. put a new sending unit in there too as mine was fallin apart and only read full n empty, no in between really

fuelsystem006.jpg

fuelsystem015.jpg

I like.....

The 5th picture of post #73, where it's a shot from the front toward the firewall, I thought you had cut one of the supply lines and bent it around the front of the pump and added an AN.

oh

no, the ofv is history. that line (and i didnt bend it, it comes like that) was the line that went from the stock lift pump to the filter. and i used the banjo that was there too. just moved both over to the return, brazed a moded plug on the end and it was ready to be plumbed to the reg

then the reg has its own return to the tank. thought thats what you were asking about. sorry

More parts on the way. I'm thinking I may revamp the tubing around the pump now. It's awefully tight inside that 1/2" tube. I'll probably run ita while first and see if I need it to change or not.

Are those aeromotive pieces above (black) the "marine" spec'd ones?

Back