Remove VE

Nor'Easter

The seal on the block off plate on the passenger side of my 92 pump is spitting fuel. Never pulled a pump but it seems pretty straight forward. Lock pump in time, fuel lines, brackets etc. Undo nut and use a puller to push the pump off the gear. Don't drop the key...

Any tips or obvious time savers?

I've done it to where I've not taken the timing case cover off. Pull the oil filler neck off, undo nut, use a large flat blade screw driver and tap over the center of the shaft between the case and pump. You needa steering wheel puller unless you want to pull the radiator as a regular puller is too long.

Take the oil fill off, put a good large rag in between the bottom of the gear and front cover. Take the large nut and lock washer, large rag is so you cant drop the hardware into the case,

Find two bolts to run in the two holes either side of the big nut, run them in evenly and dont get rammy, bam gear is off the shaft and will sit there till reinstall.

Last edited:
Ok cool. Is the pump easily turned by hand when on the bench? That was my thought behind locking it before I pull it off. Should I do anything else while it's out?

Last edited:
Ok cool. Is the pump easily turned by hand when on the bench? That was my thought behind locking it before I pull it off. Should I do anything else while it's out?

You dont have to worry about turning it.

It takes a larger wrench or ratchet to turn the pump. And even if you do it doesn't really matter. Line up the keyway with the key and it's good.

Also, to remove the bottom but you'll typically need a 13mm S wrench. Or you can take the power steering pump support bracket off, unbolt the vac pump, move them backwards and down to reach it.

Also, to remove the bottom but you'll typically need a 13mm S wrench. Or you can take the power steering pump support bracket off, unbolt the vac pump, move them backwards and down to reach it.

I hate that one!

I have had them loose before to bump the timing. I ended up cutting and welding a crappy 13mm to reach. Always fun.

Thanks for the input guys.

Got it off in a couple of hours. Seems my concerns were valid, my heavy leak is not the block off plate on the passenger side, but the seam where the main body meets the rotor body. Dropped it off at a local Bosch dealer to reseal. Don't have the time these days.

Back