Removing gears from nv4500?

c_houchins8_182

Anybody ever done this to save rotating weight? And if so is it as easy as it would seem? Pull mainshaft out and take off 1st,3rd, and 5th? Figured that way I would have 2nd for driving in the pits, 4th to pull in and reverse for backing to the sled? I guess my main problem I think I may have would be flex in the mainshaft?

We used to do this on xr75 and xr80 Hondas to cut down on rotating mass. Hell of a flat track motor it was.

Go through all that work just get a profab built nv4500 with straight cut gears and 3 different "pulling" gears

Exactly what I am trying to avoid. If I was ever to spend that much I'd just put it towards a dropbox and reverser

You send him a core you get brand new back not reman product with a custom length input if needed and spline count of your choice I don't think it's out of line. I had one was truly a piece of art inside. And lead time is lead time most performance parts these days have them.

to remove gears you are going to have to make some spacers to replace the gears with. Net reduction in weight would be very small.

Back