Revisted.. 180 vs 215 P7100 pump

Bobcat698

Pure Diesel Power
Revisited.. 180 vs 215 P7100 pump

Ok so I'm gearing up for the 2007 sled pulling season.

I have a 96 here with a 215 pump.. 290k miles on it.
I have a 98 here with a 180 pump.. 225k miles on it.

I'm probably going to remove both pumps this winter to have them gone over.. and possibly to swap some parts :evil

I've been told to take the Barrels & Plungers out of the 180 pump and put them in the 215 pump.
Does this sound like the right thing to do or should I just have the 215 pump tuned and throw it on the pulling truck?

Last edited:
So where is the big advantage of the 215 pump then?

Will a tuned 180 pump be enough for street class?

I'll take the 215 any day over the 180, don't know about the 4K RPM thing nor do I need to know but I do know mine is set at more than 17mm rack.

Jim

gunracer1 said:
so are you saying they were running 180s or 215s?????
They were running 180 pumps.

I should have rephrased it to say "will a 180 pump cut it against Painter/Miller trucks"

Bobcat, 180 here, still on the truck, wherever it may be.

The 180 cam I had was a much, much better grind than the 215s I saw.

I never met a 215 I couldn't beat!!LOL!

MY suggestion? Polish up the 215, put some big Dvalves in it, and sell it to an internet puller who thinks he has to have a 215. Take the money and the 180, and have a good shop go over it.

Sledpuller said:

MY suggestion? Polish up the 215, put some big Dvalves in it, and sell it to an internet puller who thinks he has to have a 215. Take the money and the 180, and have a good shop go over it.

Would be a good idea Gene, but we have 2 trucks, and we need to end up with 2 pumps no matter what we do :) They just have different pumps.

Smokem said:
I have thought about this topic for quite awhile, and to tell you the truth I would run the 215hp pump. I have my reasons, but with the automatic I would justify my decision. You may want to look into a larger turbo if you plan on getting serious, something closer to the 71mm compressor range, and not an S300.

Thanks for the input.
My charger is getting traded off and I'm looking into a bigger charger already :)

Sledpuller said:

The 215 and the 180 cams are the same part:evil

Oh Man. That dang cut in the plunger top. It has sparked some "tranny wars" in the past.

In my best Shepard Smith voice. Does it advance, does it retard? We report, you decide*bdh* :Cheer:

Anyone care to take a idling reading and a reading at rated rpm and under load with a timing light and tell us what changes????
There are a few mechanical pumps out there on some equipment that do advance the timing. Anyone know what models of pumps??

Last edited:
Something that I noticed after having to go back to a stock cam is that it just didn't have the topend pull at say 3500. I backed the plate off a tad (2mm's) and the truck runs better on the top, definately cleaner. Seems like it's just better overall now and if I want more fuel I have a set of real injectors for that, I mean what does it take 30 minutes to swap them.

Comments:

Jim

Regular ole' 370's and EDM's from Industrial. I like running the 370's most of the time because I don't have to pay attention to smoke and can drive agressively, the EDM's do better and really show the pump off and are stupid with a little N2O.

Jim

well i have had 215s and 180's on my little truck and i will see how the 180 will do with a bunch of rack travel. since i just had another rack hang up in the other 215 pump i put on it. but i am finally going to hook up the aux fuel system. and i have seen 885 180 pumps, but the one i just bought has 0 402 736 912 with 76300 12497 for #s on it. did i get took thinking it was a 180

well it was supposed to be off a 97 5 speed truck. but it has a tps on it so i call bull on that part. it was from cali, so 180hp trucks is all they had anyway. i knew it was not a 215 when i bought it. we put it in yesterday, a 4k kit no plate with a moded afc and a 2095 rack plug. smoke was controlable, power seemed decent with just the 181 dvs. i layed into it lit up the tires in first, hit second and really got good and sidways then BAM!!!!!!!!! blew the intercooler boot again, but i knew this was going to happen. it had a few cuts in it when i put it on the other day. i have another on the way. so i will have to waite a bit to see if i like this pump or not.

i don't remember to tell you the truth. i put the timing at 6.1mm of lift and it is more than i feel safe with. it has a pretty good rattle to it. i will take a pick of the plunger when i time it back to 18 degrees or so. it revs real nice but i a scared with a stock headgasket and bolts with 260k on it. and the pump is for sure a 912. so who know what it is?

well i backed the timing off to 5.4mm of lift. didn't feel near as good as it it did at 6.1mm of lift. then i rolled into it on the way home. and the timing slipped back enough that i thought i was not going to make it home. so i bumped the timing to 5.7 mm of lift and it felt fine but still not as good as it reved at 6.1 . and now it has slipped again so i guess i will break out the brake cleaner tonight and set the timing at 5.8 or 5.9 and see how i like that. and no one has ever heard of a 912 pump?????????

Back