Ring and pinion setup. What in the hell am I doing wrong.

Joesixpack

Pull'n it.
Throwing in a set of 4.56's in a diff that had 3.73's. Using the spacer for the ring gear that came with.

Killed half a fricking day on this. For some reason all I get is this skinny contact patch that looks like the outside edge of the pinion is making.

4BB917FF-903F-4259-969A-8D7AEEEB154C_zps0cmnznuf.jpg

I threw a true trac back in another truck (used gears) and it was no more than 20mins to get a great pattern.

Appreciate any help. This is a sled puller so any nuggets of advise in getting some life out of the R&P would be handy.

looks good to me. you wont have any issues with it, how tight is your backlash?

That is a great link, managed to find that in between pulling it out ten times.

That was 4-5 thou backlash, little less moved it towards the toe. Little more towards the heel.

Seems like the pinion just isn't deep enough and added a pile of shims.

Edit: Yukon gears.

Last edited:
you COULD have a poorly cut pinion gear, that will do the same thing. What does the swipe on the pinion look like?

Weird, I did not need a spacer for my yukon gears... did you use a new crush sleeve on the pinion?

I'm sure that's it. The pinion's contact is on the outside edge.

Not to the crush sleeve stage yet from this ****ty pattern.

Last edited:
What does the coast pattern look like? I agree it is probably alright. It doesn't show in the picture, but I'm sure you can tell that the gear marking compound is a bit lighter heading up toward the top of the gear tooth. It should be a decent contact patch if that is the case.

I've done three of these now and they aren't fun. Dummy bearings are your friend! Good luck!

The coast pattern is the same thing a real skinny line that looks like it's being made by the very outside edge of the pinion. I'll grab a shot of it.

Between .006/8 and it's been there, and everywhere from zero last to .020.

098A89F0-8AB6-4148-9A74-E5CAAE2666E0_zpsmsh9rfnf.jpg

Here's the coast, it's actually two markings from a change in lash as I didn't reset the paint on the coast side.
Again real skinny sharp line that appears to be the outside edge of the pinion. The drive side of the pinion is actually getting a shine on the edge from testing it!

It's not disturbing the paint at all except that sharp line.

Last edited:
Can you see what I was saying about it being lighter headed towards the top of the gear or is it just a skinny line?

I'd have to agree with the pinion being poorly cut if it is just a skinny line. I always had more contact, but it was a clear spot with a lighter coating headed to the top.

You could try holding onto the ring gear to give it more resistance and see if that gives you a better pattern. If you are using dummy bearings w/o the proper carrier pre-load, it could result in a skinny line.

386CD0D2-D0BD-47BD-BD27-2E2329EE5CF1_zpsakdlvnvq.jpg

It's hard to see in the photo but I've worn the coating off that leading edge.

I do see what you mean, on the drive side it is printing the paint where the gear will mesh once it's burned off that edge.

Looks like I actually have another set of gears here. Might try them or just let this mess eat.

It's an aam 9.25 so only dummy bearings on the pinion. Lots of resistance still leaves that skinny line.

My experience has been with dana axles. I just read about the aam 9.25. It makes things a lot easier with the carrier adjustment.

Maybe it is the photo, but the pinion's top edge looks like it sticks out and I can see some burrs in it. I'd try the other gears or a new pinion $.02.

Pinion is way to deep, I would back it out about .010 and see what it looks like.

Your right the pinion is deep, that's just where I quit. It makes that same skinny line no matter where I put it.

I'll put the shim stack back in that had the marks in about the best and post it.

Two things I see here.

Either the R&P is garbage to begin with or the carrier wont accept the R&P.

And you can go +/- .002 either side of the backlash figure.

Last edited:
Turns out something is up with the new outer race, threw in the old outer race and first crack:

DAEB6880-5314-4484-9DA0-21A4229F1279_zpsvcuo5xgq.jpg

D6B352A7-FA3E-4630-A52A-08555EEE3A41_zps0motb0x9.jpg

This I can work with.

Pinion was to deep and should have realized even with no shims it wasn't coming something was up.

Re-installed the new race in case it wasn't seated or cockeyed and same thing it's too thick! Same part number. No idea how that's even possible.

Back