Rocker Support Group Buy

Keating machine has had a cover that ties the rocker pedestals together for a while now. This is not a new concept fwiw.

Yeah if this works though at all it is a lot more affordable than Keating Machine's cover, but Keating's sure does look good

Honestly I do think this piece will help some but i think it yould be more effective if it had a vertical stiffener running the length of it, for instance like a channel or a piece of angle iron instead of flat bar and you could probably use something a little thinner than 3/8". I'm not trying to bash on Weston's idea, i do think its a good idea, just an idea that came to mind and figured i would share.

It requires no load bearing structure such as a vertical stiffener as the forces we are trying to oppose are horizontal.

20 of these are done ready to ship, since I have had sufficient interest I will go through with the group buy price of $125 shipped. You can call SDX @ 479-419-9992 or PM me to order.

Weston if you don't mind sharing what the results on these rocker supports I am interested to hear what you have found with them

thanks

Oh crap never saw the update on this, if you still have one I would be interested. Also interested in some 7mm dv's.

I was putting my head back on today so out of curiosity I checked rocker stand deflection by simply rolling the engine by hand. I would expect it to be more dramatic on an engine under load at high rpm's.
Setup
DSC00162.jpg
DSC00166.jpg
Zero
DSC00164.jpg
Exhaust valve down
DSC00167.jpg
Intake valve down
DSC00168.jpg

This is with a F1 Spartan Billet Cam, ARP 425 studs @ 125 ft/lbs, HD pushrods and 60# valve springs. I'm sure measurements can vary depending on different setups. Just thought I'd share for those who don't know how much deflection there can be.

You may try installing torquing the headbolt/stud and measuring under load off the rocker stand itself.

I was putting my head back on today so out of curiosity I checked rocker stand deflection by simply rolling the engine by hand. I would expect it to be more dramatic on an engine under load at high rpm's.
Setup
View attachment 35949
View attachment 35950
Zero
View attachment 35951
Exhaust valve down
View attachment 35952
Intake valve down
View attachment 35953

This is with a F1 Spartan Billet Cam, ARP 425 studs @ 125 ft/lbs, HD pushrods and 60# valve springs. I'm sure measurements can vary depending on different setups. Just thought I'd share for those who don't know how much deflection there can be.

Thanks for the info. What is the height of the bolt, what is the height of the pin. Divide the pin height by the bolt height and multiply it to get the actual deflection at the pin.

Head bolt is installed and torqued. I was in a hurry and didn't think to put it on the pin. Are you thinking there should be more or less deflection?

Last edited:
I failed to see you measured off the valve cover bolt, disregard. Measuring from the rocker pin 12mm stud and 60psi valve spring netted 0.009" movement, w/support and dual springs netted 0.004".

What are your thoughts James?

Sorry for the late response, I just now saw this.

When I measured mine I was seeing about .002" of movement but it would fall back after a moment with the support on. Without the support I would see about .011" and it wouldn't flex back much. I thought the base of my magnet wasn't holding but after moving it a few times I had the same readings no matter how I placed it. My motor was hot and I have retorqued my studs probably 4 times. I need to take a cool measurement and see if it varies much. I was turning it over by hand and could only get a quarter rotation at a time. I think if a person could get two full rotations without breaking it would tell a lot more. The support is definitely doing work though. I seem to have a lot less valve chatter it seems with it on. I would say in the higher rpm's it makes a pretty extreme difference. I would recommend it to anyone especially if you're running a pretty heavy spring.

Some would say that the valve train is the most important part of an engine. Wether it is or not, anything we can do to help in that area is worth an investment. I think Smokem's product is worth the money.

Back