Rod bearing wear

diesel_ram_man

Is this normal wear for a low mileage 12v?[ame="http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/DieselPhreak/media/20141015_102829.jpg.html"]20141015_102829.jpg Photo by DieselPhreak | Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/DieselPhreak/media/20141015_102822.jpg.html"]20141015_102822.jpg Photo by DieselPhreak | Photobucket[/ame]

Your rod bearings look better than the rod bearings from my 95' Junker Drag truck that had 245k miles with the last 5,000 of pure high hp abuse:

RB1.jpg

RB12.jpg

RB21.jpg

RB22.jpg

RB31.jpg

RB51.jpg

Nothing to get too terribly excited about.
At worst, it was probably short on oil changes.

Mark.

I was told l It came out of a ups truck and only had 5,000 miles. Was bone stock, cummins reman. I posted a thread a few weeks ago because when I pulled the head one piston was clean and the rest were sooty. Nobody really helped me sobi pulled the rod and seen this wasnt sure if it was normal to be off set like that.

I was told l It came out of a ups truck and only had 5,000 miles. Was bone stock, cummins reman. I posted a thread a few weeks ago because when I pulled the head one piston was clean and the rest were sooty. Nobody really helped me sobi pulled the rod and seen this wasnt sure if it was normal to be off set like that.

I wouldn't be concerned about it at all. Every cummins i've ever had a part has had the exact same wear marks except when you start opening up tolerances, running coated bearings and thicker oil. I would assume the marks on the bearing in the rods come from beating the oil out from between the journal and the bearing when on the compression stroke

Recent bearing change, but at the first start it run too long without oil pressure.

Those appear to be standard bearings. Using H series Clevite bearings will make a huge difference in wear.

Those are good bearings. You would be amazed what comes out of an engine after 5 min of run time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool deal thanks guys glad I wont have get this crank checked. Im probably gonna pull the rest of the rods, mostly because the one I pulled is Mexico cast. Which from what I read they are not the ones I want you guys agree? Gonna pull the rest and see what they are.

Im not really sure why the mexico rods are worse. Is it something that if I were to have them shot peened balanced and polished would that make them comparable to a another country rod?

What me thinks those bearings are worn more than 5k miles and had been lugged a lot and oil dilution due to infrequent oil changes.
Who's me? Just an old mechanik who was an ASE master mechanic for 30+ years.
Skip H.

Back