Roll cage question??

12VALVEADAM

Motivated
On my Dakota I have a 10pt cage already installed. My question is, can I cut the rear bars that go the rear frame off and weld in new ones, to the same main hoop? Im trying to get everything in line to do some rear end chassis work. Any thoughts are welcome!!

If you remove the existing bars completely from the hoop down you can replace them. You just cant splice any bars.

Yeah I want to take them out so the new ones will match up to the new frame rails which well be closer together now. So that is ok to do? Just cut and grind smooth against the main hoop?

Just be careful when cutting off not to damage the main hoop with grinding or heat. When I have done this I use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to get it close (sometimes us a plasma cutter depending on whether I can get the cutter head close enough), then use an abrasive disc on a grinder to smooth it out. The disc can leave it perfectly smooth, to where you'd never know there was a tube there.

Like the others said, don't damage the the main hoop. If they cage has been certified to the existing construction and you put it back to the similiar installion, you should not have a problem getting it re-certified again when due. I am a NHRA Chassis Inspector. I have had a few people do this.

Thank you very much guys. I have not had it certified yet and will needto do so before next year and get my license to go that fast. I'm going to try and get at least a 8.50 cert.

With just a 10 pt, that will be all you can get. (8.50) Anything faster and it has to look like a Pro Stocker (car) inside. Thats about the easist way to explain it.

Back