Roller Lifters?

Got Milk?

One hook at a time
Does anyone have the part number for the Crower roller lifters used in a 5.9 12v? Where are people getting them from and the bushings needed?

Wish someone would offer a cam / roller lifter setup made for a streetable truck. After scrubbing a lobe off my cam I dont know if I even trust just adding zinc to the oil.
Just seems like a LOT of force on those tappets once you move up to big springs and higher lift.

what cam/spring setup did you have that wiped a lobe off on the street using zinc. ive seen flat tappet motors with zinc additive with intake lobes like triangles that run 170lbs at the seat and 450lbs over the nose. must have been a junk cheap cam from overseas if i was to guess......

Wish someone would offer a cam / roller lifter setup made for a streetable truck.

That is a very good point! I often wondered why it's not possible. If the other 2 diesel motors have them why is it such a problem in a Cummins? What part is failing when they are use in a street application?

It says machine work required. What has to be done to put them in ? Is anyone running them on the street?

It says machine work required. What has to be done to put them in ? Is anyone running them on the street?

I've been told your holes for the tappets have to be machined larger, and bronze bushings need to be inserted. But I don't know where to get the bushings.

what cam/spring setup did you have that wiped a lobe off on the street using zinc. ive seen flat tappet motors with zinc additive with intake lobes like triangles that run 170lbs at the seat and 450lbs over the nose. must have been a junk cheap cam from overseas if i was to guess......

Nope, was without the zinc. When I had it installed no one told me I needed to run an additive. =(
Live and learn I guess. Its all just got me worried after the expense of doing the cam twice.

That is a very good point! I often wondered why it's not possible. If the other 2 diesel motors have them why is it such a problem in a Cummins? What part is failing when they are use in a street application?

Id guess that if you can run a good setup with tappets just by adding some zinc, the cost doesnt justify the gains. Not sure how much power is lost to friction, but its easy enough to make it elsewhere on these motors.
I still dont understand the logic behind removing so much ZDDP from the old oils. If you have a cat and DPF, youre running the new spec. Sure feels like theyre trying to blow up these older diesels to get them off the road. Wonder what BS theyre going to pull next?

Last edited:
I've been told your holes for the tappets have to be machined larger, and bronze bushings need to be inserted. But I don't know where to get the bushings.

Some apps don't require bushings. However on a street ending I would strongly suggest it. The ones with a tappet cover you can just use a link bar style.

ok thanks
Some apps don't require bushings. However on a street ending I would strongly suggest it. The ones with a tappet cover you can just use a link bar style.

So in other words if it would be a waste of time and money for street use only

who would be the one to know if it needs bushed or not?
OTP- your telling me it will cost around $1200 for the machine work?

I can't see 1200.00. It takes more time to square the block to the mill table then it does to drill and ream them.

Back