Rough starting after adjusting OFV.

bellabulldog

Got my fuel pressure gauge working on my truck and originally had a TorkTek high pressure non adjustable OFV on my truck. When I sent my pump to Scheid diesel to get it benched and have them install 5ks on it. Got it back and it looks like they removed the TorkTek OFV and put in a standard OFV. Silver body, goldish colored threaded in bolt in the top, with a painted witness mark cover both.

I removed the OFV and stretched the spring and removed a small washer in between the threaded bolt body of the OFV and the gold bolt that threads into the top. Now the truck is running at 45lbs but is difficult to start requiring about 3-5 seconds of cranking and slight throttle pressure.

I called Scheid diesel and asked them the same question I'm asking here and they told me they believed the rack was sticking causing the hard starts. They were short enough with me that I didn't care to engage in anymore conversation with them.

Has anyone had any experience like this or know what's going on?

Thanks,

Andrew

What's your idle at when the truck is warm, in drive, with foot on the break?

Sounds like you might need to adjust idle and gov springs to get the idle stronger so it'll start easy.

Also, if you blip the throttle while cranking, does it start right up?

Not quite just a blip at start right up. But before I messed with OFV it would crank right away. I adjusted my idle up because my truck was idling low. I took one click out of my 5ks because my idle if above 675-700 would climb out of control. I've noticed once my truck is warm in park my idle seems high, like 950, but as soon as I put AC or go into drive it drops to 700.

That's weird. It sounds like you've covered the simple stuff that causes this 99% of the time. I wouldn't expect a pressure increase to around 45psi to cause any adverse effects at all.

If that's the only thing that changed, try compressing the spring the best you can to get it back to where it was and see if it helps. Maybe grab an adjustable valve too or regulator.

I'd also push Scheid for more help.

Re-installed the copper washer and trucks starts up as normal again. Goofy idle is likely due to the 5k gsk or that's what Schied diesel told me. Haven't had a chance to drive truck since Friday so will know more when I take it out. Thanks everyone for the help.

Back