Running one battery?

Goolsbymd

How easy is this to do? Id like to free up room on the passenger side of the engine bay and the truck is 90% for the track. I have another truck id drive in the winter/cold times. Also the radio and such has been removed. What would have to be done to do this? Removal of old wires, clamping them off?

Everything should unbolt...the only thing to watch is the ground wires, make sure every thing grounded to the battery gets hooked to the body so it is still grounded.

K, sounds easier. Think a red top would work fine powering up the truck?

It's really easy actually since your passenger side feeds the drivers side. Just pull the battery and the cable that runs between them and you're good to go. Make sure you got enough juice in the one battery though.

I run one battery on my '04.5 and it's one of the original 750cca batteries that came with the truck.

It's really easy actually since your passenger side feeds the drivers side. Just pull the battery and the cable that runs between them and you're good to go. Make sure you got enough juice in the one battery though.

Exactly what I did!

i had only one in mine when i bought it. it was just some no name battery and worked fine. i added another and it starts better but other than that, i noticed no reason to need 2.

only reason for two would be a cold start that grid heater really pulls hard

Since I live in Miami I just might be doing this. Is there any way to run 2 batteries in the drivers side. I might be installing a winch soon.

I just removed the cables, and battery box, took like 10 minutes and all metric sizes wanna say 15mm for the bolt on the block, and 9mm etc.

There was nothing to ground though... The only grounding cable was on the cable that went from one terminal to the block itself I put that 15mm bolt back in and snugged it down and didn't ground it. It came from the block by the bottom of the oil filter. Should I run a ground from there? Doesn't make much sense to me but I'm not electrical smart.

First gens only came with one battery. Never a problem with the one I had. It was a 1150 CCA if I remerber.

First gens only came with one battery. Never a problem with the one I had. It was a 1150 CCA if I remerber.

They were a group 31 battery IIRC, which is a much bigger and badder battery than a single 2nd gen battery.

I don't see any problem running a single battery in a warm climate, but I think you would be walking quite often if you tried running one up here in the winter.

They were a group 31 battery IIRC, which is a much bigger and badder battery than a single 2nd gen battery.

I don't see any problem running a single battery in a warm climate, but I think you would be walking quite often if you tried running one up here in the winter.

I agree.

I have more comfort in 2 batteries in the cold. Then again I am running high timing and lower compression.

Me too Tony. But then, our cold is not very bad. Sometimes not at all. Today will be our 50th triple digit temp day this year. Ouch!!!

Out here in eastern VA we don't see much less than 30s and I won't be driving the truck in those times.

I would think you will be fine with one battery in those temps. I haven't tried it myself though.

When I'm talking cold I'm talking about -30F or colder. Our average annual temp here is only in the 30s if I recall correctly.

I took my second battery out a while back when I had small twins. Never gave me any trouble without it. Even now with much lower compression & high timing it starts just fine.

Back