rust repair

crabbelle

Banned
whats the best way to repair rust holes? i would like to do it myself since ive never done it before. i also would like to mold my roll-pan into my bed sides, heres a few pics

0525111951.jpg

0525111951a.jpg

how fast is it going to come back? if its 3-4 years that isnt going to bother me

how fast is it going to come back? if its 3-4 years that isnt going to bother me

It is hard to say...it depends on surface prep, quality of paint application, was all the rust removed, etc.

There are products like por15 that inhibit the rust... I don't know if they are weld through or not... Check out the eastwood company catalog...lots of specialty restoration stuff in there

Take the roll pan off so you can get in there and sand blast it. Be sure all little rust spots are gone. If it ends up going through and through somewhere you'r going to have to weld a small piece of metal in there.. Living in the north east I bet the bottoms of the doors on that truck are next to rust through, if not already.

no, no rust under the doors. the truck is orignally from cali. the bed is from virginia lol

You have to patch the hole first. (think I mentioned that) Once you patch it with a small piece of metal then you can start laying bondo over it and working it. There are tools used to cut down bondo quickly but some 36 grit paper will suit you just fine. Get it down with the 36, go to some 80 or so to get it closer to what you want and to get the marks from the 36 out. From there i would use 240 or 320 to get a "smoother" finish so you can primer it. Sand the primer with some 400 and look it ever real good to make sure it's what you want... Then seal it, prime it, top coat it, and clear it.

Back