S10 swap Options?? MPG

Fireman450

Daring to be diffrent!!
Well my little 2.2 in my 96 s10 is on her way out.. throwing around the idea of doing a diesel swap. Whats out there that wont break the bank?? looking for MPG bc its just a DD and what I drive back an forth to work. Currently an auto but if I swap it ill go with a 5spd..
Engine/trans combos on Ebay are going for 3500+.. yall know of anything a little more reasonable?
Thoughts? Opinions? Criticisms? Snide remarks??

Thanks

There is always the cheap and reliable Mercedes om617... Definitely not powerhouses, but should net 30+mpg I would say. I've seen them for sale for anywhere between 250 and 800. Plus the adapter to your 5spd.

Or you can buy my om603:rockwoot:

I've been having the same thought with my 93 s10. Cummins 6at caught my eye. Acme adapters makes a plate to bolt he vw 1.9 TDI to a Toyota transmission as well.

Junk yard 5.3 with a charger if you are not dead set on a diesel! Should be able to get one with the harness for around $600

I have a 4.3 5 speed '94 that runs like a top sitting around if you change directions.

I have one of the Isuzu pups with the 2.2l turbo diesel. The whole truck is there with 5 speed and complete running gear. Not sure of mileage or condition of engine as I have not attempted to get 'er running just yet. I can tell ya you have to take the whole truck including all the rust!! lol

I have one of the Isuzu pups with the 2.2l turbo diesel. The whole truck is there with 5 speed and complete running gear. Not sure of mileage or condition of engine as I have not attempted to get 'er running just yet. I can tell ya you have to take the whole truck including all the rust!! lol

My dad had a Chevy luv(it was the Isuzu pup 1982 model) and it had a 2.2 however didn't realize u could get the turbo. To be honest best mileage he got out if it was probably 42. His last 2000 s10 got 32 or so. I would think finding a junkyard replacement would be the best option, unless this is just a project u want to do

I've been having the same thought with my 93 s10. Cummins 6at caught my eye. Acme adapters makes a plate to bolt he vw 1.9 TDI to a Toyota transmission as well.

This is the swap direction I would go for a small truck like an S-10. Find a wrecked 99-03 Jetta, Bettle or Golf TDI with an ALH and go for it!

I had the 5cyl Mercedes swap in a 2wd ford ranger with a jeep ax15, got 31-32 on the highway with 3:73 gears but really could have used a higher gear set and higher mpg would be achievable

Back