S400sxe

I hate to derail this thread, but I've got a SXE400 question...

I've always been led to believe that 96mm turbine was maxed out pushing a decent 80mm wheel, and that the potential of 84-85 compressor wheel can't be realized with the 96mm turbine. So, I'm really surprised to see that BW is offering a 488 being driven by the 96.

So what's up with that??? Is this a different turbine, just with the same diameter? Or is it the same turbine that's being pushed really hard.

I'm particularly interested because a have a FI s488 and s491 that I plan on trying out next year. Originally, I was leary of their potential, and have been talking to Jose about possibly upgrading to their new 100mm turbine. But after reading this, maybe they'll perform better than expected?

80/87 has been a strong flowing setup for many before with loosish ar housings.

It's hard to imagine the 96 being chocked by an 80mm.

I'm particularly interested because a have a FI s488 and s491 that I plan on trying out next year. Originally, I was leary of their potential, and have been talking to Jose about possibly upgrading to their new 100mm turbine. But after reading this, maybe they'll perform better than expected?

I would take an 85mm S400 every day of the week over an 88mm S500.

Are the holset turbines better than the s500? I have yet to see a 500 be anyone's favorite option

Are the holset turbines better than the s500? I have yet to see a 500 be anyone's favorite option

I had a billet 98mm wheel put in my s500sx with .85ar. I thought it was the bees knees. I swapped to a garrett gt5541r with a 1.0ar housing and it out spools the s500 all day long and daily drives a good bit better.

I liked the s598sx. I had no complaints. I would have liked to try the s500 with a 1.15ar but got a good deal on the gt5541r. With zero tuning changes, I picked up 48hp on the dyno by switching to the gt55.

why such tight housings? seems like the power limiting would out weigh the gain in spool up.

People typically use small housings because you wont see any hp gain going to a larger housing on the s500/gt55 unless you get drive press really high. My 88mm s500sx .85t6 spooled alittle quicker than the hx60 it replaced.

Weston, have you compared these box new BW's against aftermarket billet wheeled counterparts? Is it worth waiting for a new 67.7 to come out for the 6.7 crowd?

People typically use small housings because you wont see any hp gain going to a larger housing on the s500/gt55 unless you get drive press really high. My 88mm s500sx .85t6 spooled alittle quicker than the hx60 it replaced.

good to know thank you. :Cheer:

Weston, have you compared these box new BW's against aftermarket billet wheeled counterparts? Is it worth waiting for a new 67.7 to come out for the 6.7 crowd?

We have spent a great deal of time dynoing different compressor wheel/cover characteristics, a great deal of insight has been gained and a good understanding when to implement different designs.

First thing the average consumer should understand, a drop-in wheel with the same style leading edge is going to limit the potential gains in both power/flow. The second is that the turbine design and efficiency can have a large impact on the overall power, such is the case when comparing the large S400 turbine to the S500 turbine. The same case can be made when comparing the 73mm S300 turbine to the 74mm S400 turbine, again I would go with the smaller due to the design difference.

There is a good chance we may offer a 67.5mm SX-E later this year, it will not use a drop-in wheel however, as the trim will be a good bit different than the factory counterpart. The goal would be to create a class specific(<67.7mm) turbocharger that in my opinion would make more power than the SX-E 69mm and S467.

There is a good chance we may offer a 67.5mm SX-E later this year, it will not use a drop-in wheel however, as the trim will be a good bit different than the factory counterpart. The goal would be to create a class specific(<67.7mm) turbocharger that in my opinion would make more power than the SX-E 69mm and S467.

If You make that turbo, let me know. I am still in need of a manifold charger to go with the 85.

We have spent a great deal of time dynoing different compressor wheel/cover characteristics, a great deal of insight has been gained and a good understanding when to implement different designs.

First thing the average consumer should understand, a drop-in wheel with the same style leading edge is going to limit the potential gains in both power/flow. The second is that the turbine design and efficiency can have a large impact on the overall power, such is the case when comparing the large S400 turbine to the S500 turbine. The same case can be made when comparing the 73mm S300 turbine to the 74mm S400 turbine, again I would go with the smaller due to the design difference.

How many 69sxe shaft failures have you seen, if any?

Weston, what do you think about this? A guy on FB ordered this 71mm s300sx-e for his gas motor. Not sure who makes that compressor. Thought it was interesting they stuffed a 71mm compressor into an sx-e.

received_10208274907811466_zpslgbljnag.jpeg

Weston, what do you think about this? A guy on FB ordered this 71mm s300sx-e for his gas motor. Not sure who makes that compressor. Thought it was interesting they stuffed a 71mm compressor into an sx-e.

received_10208274907811466_zpslgbljnag.jpeg
Forced inductions is making a s371 out of the sxe.

Is that their in house billet 71? Also wonder how their machining of the cover is affecting the highlights of the sxe, and if they're modifying the backplate aswell(not sure what the 71 exducer is).

Back