s476 as a single, can it be done?

Texas Cowboy

Proudly Serving
Before someone says use the search, I did. The thread I wanted to reply to is closed.

I was wondering if my s476, Compressor Wheel specs: 76mm Ind / 101.9mm Exd. / Ind. 96mm; Turbine: Exd. with optional Trim 96 / T6 inlet / 1.32 ar can be used as a single. To me it seems to large. Far as fuel, I have 660cc, 5x18's, helix 2 cam, lower compression. Why questions is, would this turbo spool as a single with an auto trans? Trans is DTT with single disk and is not too tight. With the current twins it will dyno over 500hp easy at just 60lbs boost. Never went over 80lbs total though. Truck is not for the street. I'm trying to do everything on fuel only for pullin and racin.

Your thoughts and experiences please...

Dan

Last edited:
turbine and turbine housing are two big, with a 83 or 87 mm turbine in a .9 to 1.0 housing then yes. you are better off buying a new center section and turbine due to the 96mm center sections being different than the smaller ones. (according to jose who knows a lot more about this than me)

To run a big single you need the s475sx. Same comp. Wheel with the 83/74 turbin wheel and 1.10 housing with the 1.0 and .90 housing available also. It is part number177101-A and around the 1000-1100$ range new

It can be done sure. Would it be the best combination probably not. Lostnwalmart hit the nail on the head use the smaller turbines.

What he said ^^ I think you would need alot of rpm and maybe a small shot to really give it a chance.

higher compression and a different cam will make it much more driveable when driving large single chargers.

Your cams are a huge part of our combos. Looking to give ya a call towards winter for another. Brian

I would run it, it wont spool until 3500-3800 rpm, but who cares if its for pulling and racing, better have a loose converter. Or install a 5 speed....

I'd think it would spool around 2600 to 3200 that's when my hx60 took off similar specs. With blue bottle aft meathod it wasn't very smoky and lit fast.

i'm streeting a S474/74/.90T4 in an auto truck with a v10/cummins convertor i can light it in OD without downshifting if i roll into the throttle untill about 2200rpm oh and this is on 35" tires with 4.10 gears

I had a ED S476 with billet wheel the exhaust was a .90AR and a 83mm wheel had a 199/218 cam in a 12v could lite turbo easy

Can you? Yes. Should you? No. But then again, when has that ever stopped you LOL

Tyler I think you know me to well! Just like they folks said my Edge BB Jammer wouldn't work with this turbo for twins due to 58mm ind on the compressor was to small. I've made good power with low boost/egts and no tuning.

All, thanks for the advise. Guess I will keep it as the primary on my twins setup or look for another size to run as a single. It's a good charger and lights little slow on twin setup but when it hits, IT HITS HARD!

If you got a good deal on it when you bought it, you might look at changing the AR and turbine wheel

From what I have heard the 96 turbines are a different size center section and its not a simple swap.

Back