S482/87/1.1 fmw as a primary

RHP997

part-time
I'm doing some remodeling on my engine and engine bay and am going to be compounding my current turbo which is a 66/74/.91 and am curious how well it would perform with an FMW s482/87 with a 1.1 T4 housing as the primary. Would I need a larger housing on the 82 or will the .91 housing on the manifold be the limiting factor if running without a wastegate?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Im not a twin expert by any means so im sure I will get corrected, however I think you will have some excessive drive pressures with that small T-4 housing. I think you would have a happier set up running a bigger t-6 turbine.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing or atleast a 1.25 housing but this is what was recommended to me so I thought I'd seek some opinions

Will the 87 turbine not support say 900 or so hp?

I am running that tubo with a ported HE351cw and so far drive psi has not been an issue. That is also with a stock 3rd gen mainifold.

Borg is really pushing the 87 turbine and the conversations I had was told it will flow as much as the 96x88.

it will work but its not ideal. a ported 351 is still not going to come anywhere to the flow of a 74/.91

Borg is really pushing the 87 turbine and the conversations I had was told it will flow as much as the 96x88.

Thats some good info to hear. I've been talkin with the guys at BD about getting my truck into the mid 10's and this is what's been recommended. Basically I'll have something similar to their RT1000 compound setup.

BDs new RT1100 kit is a 66 80/73 .91 over a 82 87/81 1.1. On a Common rail it should make 1000hp. The 87/81 wheel like zstroken said flows very close to the 96/88 but it will take more abuse. The T4 1.1 housing is the only thing that concerns me as far as flow goes but I guess I will see this year....

Last edited:
BDs new RT1100 kit is a 66 80/73 .91 over a 82 87/81 1.1. On a Common rail it should make 1000hp. The 87/81 wheel like zstroken said flows very close to the 96/88 but it will take more abuse. The T4 1.1 housing is the only thing that concerns me as far as flow goes but I guess I will see this year....

Looks like we're taking the same route. Lol. I was kinda leaning towards the 1.25 housing but the 1.1 is what brian recommends. Might end up trying both.

Yeah buddy that's what I'm thinking is going to happen too but it will be some good testing with the new setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im going to run the same setup. Brian claimes 1050 they made with that setup on a 06 Cr. Ive asked for bigger, really wanted to go with the s467 over the 588. But, they feel the 66 s482 combo works well. I just wish it was a t6. I plan on pushing them hard, i will have plenty of fuel and a motor to handle it. We will see.

I tried for the 467/588 setup too. I know the other truck that is running this kit and it runs hard. It's best pass was a 10.8. Blew a boot then got on the brakes. 6800 lbs. I can see 1000 on this kit with a CR. 900 or so with a 12 valve. I'm going to push it as hard as I can to see what's she's got!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It should be interesting. A 12v, a p7100 fed 24v, and a CR. Can't wait to compare.

About a year and a half ago i did 854 one weekend, then on a load cell dyno i did 871/1815 with the bd r700s which are only a 58 over a 71/74. Obviously i was out of air and smoken hot. So in theory the 66/s482 setup should do much better. There is a crap ton more of air to work with. Dan Clarke, Dans Diesel does all my tuning and i plan on heading over to his place late March or early April to get it dialed in on the Dyno.

Back