Saving money on a paint job advice?

kleann

VP44 pwr
So I need a new paint job on my dodge. And I was wondering if I could save some labor money by taking some things off like bumpers, lights, moldings, handles and sh*t? And maybe do a rough sand down to wherever it should be for new paint. Any body shop guys know roughly how much money I could save, if any?

Attachments

• resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
Remove mirrors, door handles, window run channels, mirrors, emblems, moldings, all lights, bumpers, loosen the bed.

Leave the actual body work/prep to us.

yes what roachie said... some shops will knock some money off some wont, ask before do it... just be carfull its easy to scratch up new paint puttin those window channels back in and all the other weather stripping pieces....

Remove mirrors, door handles, window run channels, mirrors, emblems, moldings, all lights, bumpers, loosen the bed.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking and maybe the take the grill off too since that's not painted. Would this same me any money? Could I maybe supply the paint? I see duplicolor has some paint shop deal that's supposed to be good. Any suggestions on quality paint/clear that's wallet friendly?

yes what roachie said... some shops will knock some money off some wont, ask before do it... just be carfull its easy to scratch up new paint puttin those window channels back in and all the other weather stripping pieces....

Thanks for the advice man! Also would it be cheaper to go to a single white instead of the white/silver two tone?

Two tone will be more expensive. More labor to tape and spray.

In essence, take off anything that touches paint, ANYTHING. glass included.

Talk to the shop about providing your own paint, that is really where they make money.

RM, Diamont, Glassurit, Sherwin Williams are all good, just stay away from water born, enamel, acrylic enamel, and lacquer. You want a urethane bases paint.

Two tone will be more expensive. More labor to tape and spray.

In essence, take off anything that touches paint, ANYTHING. glass included.

Talk to the shop about providing your own paint, that is really where they make money.

RM, Diamont, Glassurit, Sherwin Williams are all good, just stay away from water born, enamel, acrylic enamel, and lacquer. You want a urethane bases paint.

Cool, so I'll take out the extended cab door's glass. Thanks for all the help man and I'll probably have more questions once I talk to the shop.

Man I'm glad you said that. I've seen so many times that someone either strips or does bodywork and prep thinking they are saving money on a paint job. It's not that they don't know what they're doing, it's alot more than just spraying primer and smoothing it out. Most times that ends up costing more. And sometimes it is that they don't know what they are doing!

Anyone know what a good price would be? Gonna start getting quotes here soon.

Depending on the amount of body work, 3k would be in the ball park.

Back