School Project. NEED HELP!

dodgemaniac

i am doing a project in a class where i am to do a report of a part that failed and why. the part i used was a 5th gear out of an nv4500 where i sheared off the inner teeth

I would like anyone help on info on the gear itself. if anyone know its material, etc it would help me exponentially.

Also if anyone has any good info on cry treating i would appreciate that to. i am using that as what i would do to make the part better for future use.

any and all help greatly appreciated.

thank you renopker

and that would be easy but its on a particular part and this as the part i have lol

Yea i've had the fifth gear fail three times. 1st time the new updated nut came loose and backt off just enuf to let the mainshaft gear come back halfway out of contact with the countershaft gear and shear all the teeth off. Then, i bought a complete diff tranny out of an '01 (mine is a '97) And took it apart then put a couple tack welds on the nut then after awhile when gettin on it i sheared all the teeth off both gears. So i pulled it apart put new gears in it then welded again Now i lost 5th again but it sheared the end of the countershaft and then the gear went out of contact with the mainshaft gear and tore a few teeth off. Idk if the case is flexing and the gears come out of contact enuf till they start shearing off or what. I'm gettin them all heat treated now hopefully that helps

Peter's Heat Treat in Meadville does Cryo Heat Treating, they maybe willing to help answer your questions.

Back