sealent on freeze plugs?

Will at PDD advised us to use epoxy and even bank the freeze plugs. If you are running a stock water pump and plan on turning some rmp's, you need to do this.

Will at PDD advised us to use epoxy and even bank the freeze plugs. If you are running a stock water pump and plan on turning some rmp's, you need to do this.

Bank the freeze plugs?

Thought about just going billet but I'm not a fancy guy..LOL

The whole motor will be seen in the truck I'm building (Rat rod)

I lost a rear freeze plug at the track a couple weeks back.... going sideways at 100+ MPH with slicks is SCARY!!!! My truck now sports a billet rear freeze plug, billet front freeze plug behind the fan, and 3 billet plugs on the side.

It was so close to the wall they had to look at the instant replay in the tower to make sure I didn't hit the wall, and the second corrective swerve the other direction left rear tire tracks over the center-line.

My advice.... billet freeze plugs!!!!

Bank the freeze plugs?

lol sorry, stuck in my coal burning days. What I meant was stake them in. Once cleaned, epoxied and installed, take a sharp center punch and go around the ID of the freeze plug boss in about three or four places just distorting the ID enough to keep the plug in.

However, seeing Will's post above and having to do it over, I'd save my coin for the billet plugs or go with an electric water pump.

There a vid online?

It was the NHRDA Rocky Mountain Diesel Nationals in Salt Lake. Diesel TV was cut away on a commercial break during the run. It was second round of qualifying for the 10.90 index class. When they come back from commercial, it's track prep from the incident. You can spot the tire marks in the center of the track. I haven't found anyone with footage yet.

Back