Seat belts.....

Samaras Diesel

Billet steel
Why do they lock up?!? Is there a way to fix this? Ive done got the replacment parts found and geting them tomarrow. But i cant find anything wrong wjth them as to why they would lock up....

I recently read another thread that this was mentioned in, id definitely google this, mine never locked up but it seemed like the guys in the other thread were mentioning they lock up a lot after a minor to severe crash or jolt to the frame... could be BS but idk

Does anybody else have info on this?!? I dont like rideing around with no seat belts! ��

They have an electrical circuit tied into them to trigger the lock during collision iirc. Maybe it has failed somehow

Monkey Fist Rage

I've ridden in cars where they lockup just from hard braking/acceleration. I don't know what exactly triggers ours, but it might even be some kind of inertia switch or something in the seatbelt winder part thing.

The retractor is whats messed up... Drivers seat is in buckled just wont pull out...

Like BigPapa said and linked to... Most of them have an inertia type activation that uses a weighted pendulum as described in the link as well. I would guess that the pendulum is either stuck in the forward/locked position or the pawl on the other end has become jammed in the ratchet gear on the spool.

Can the housing be taken apart for a better look at the spool and locking mechanism? If so, a couple small pry bars or flathead screw drivers could be used to free the pawl from the ratchet gear.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

Will make the seat belts loose there functionality? I dont want to get a ticket but id rather not die by beating the system if im in a wreak...

Its a nearly stock truck.... Ive got enough clutch and lift pump to make it a race truck, but lack the funds and time to as im still in high school.... I like that option though!

Will make the seat belts loose there functionality? I dont want to get a ticket but id rather not die by beating the system if im in a wreak...

I don't foresee them losing their functionality. The pawl locks the spool multiple times in a seat belt retractor system's life. Think about all the times you've been riding in a vehicle and the driver has to jam on the brakes hard enough that the seat belt locks. That force was just enough to swing the pendulum forward which engages the pawl against the ratchet gear and prevents unspooling.

I'm not talking about taking it apart entirely, though. Only enough to see what state the mechanism is in and to be able to (hopefully) dislodge the pawl from the spool's ratchet gear and return proper functionality. This is, of course, only if your seat belt retractors utilize this type of lock. Some mechanisms may not be as easy to access as others due to how they are encased and if that housing was designed to be removed or not.

Last edited:
Back