Serious question for all 12V performance junkies!

OP

do any one of you guys remember a guy that went by oregon farmer? supposed to have come up with a variable timing set up and moved to brazil to get it built.

Right now OP is in Chile , from time to time I hear from him. OP had to get away from the CUMMINS because the company he works for has a conflict of interest. So he silently slipped away.

As I remember he was working on something like this , but don't know if he ever finished it up before he got involved else where. I wish he was still around , I have no doubt in my mind he could shed some light on this.

Interesting concept though, it rolls along the same lines as VCT.

Lets bring this topic back to life.

I have some ideas :evil, but I would like to hear others opinions.....:pop:

Just the hint: adjustable P7100+ VGT twins :snoop:

Planetary gear drive? 1:1 ratio, but put a servo or something on one of the ring gears and push advances the timing, pull retards the timing.

I like where the hint is going...... HE451veTi over whatever model is on the ISX Signature 600. :bow:

I have a variable timing pump gear from a Deutz engine off of an A series Bosch pump...I need to look at it closer and dig through the service manuals and see what I can find out...

Chris

Couldn't you use a Bosch A pump like I run on my Isuzu(only th 6cylinder version) and run the factory timing advance u it? Should be pretty easy to adapt it to the cummins gear case then just make some lines. You can get 850cc out of the A pump so it will supply plenty of fuel for most.

Is that just a dumb idea?

That would be all sorts of evil...

Planetary gear drive? 1:1 ratio, but put a servo or something on one of the ring gears and push advances the timing, pull retards the timing.

I like where the hint is going...... HE451veTi over whatever model is on the ISX Signature 600. :bow:

hmmm I like what you're thinking here...go with like a 22.5* cut on the gears so we can get some decent range withough moving it far :Cheer:

I have a variable timing pump gear from a Deutz engine off of an A series Bosch pump...I need to look at it closer and dig through the service manuals and see what I can find out...

Chris

Damn those Duetz things... I thought I remember something like that on those. Just didn't know if one could retrofit A series pump stuff to P. But then again, a good machine shop is worth it's weight in gold :Cheer:

Didn't Mack (or somebody) have a system that advanced timing of an inline pump by pressurizing an oil passage in the middle of a two-part drive gear? As the engine sped up the oil pressure increased and caused the two gears to spread apart?

I know that the injection pumps used on Cummins QST30's are inline pumps with internal dynamic timing; Bosch RP39's. The engines are twelve cylinders with one inline six pump on each bank. The timing is controlled by one rack, the metering by another. When I went to school on Cummins engines I recall thinking that the RP39 would be adaptable to a custom application.

I work for Volvo Powertrain/Mack in engineering and development. I jumped on this idea in 2002 wanted to retro fit it on my P-Pumped first gen. After talking to a few engineers about it it was not worth the time or expense of making it work. But yall have fun Ill watch.... :pop:

After talking to a few engineers about it it was not worth the time or expense of making it work.

Well come on man, there's your problem. Never ask engineers' opinions on a jury rig when you can ask farmboy rednecks and hillbilly mechanics. :1tooth:

Damn those Duetz things... I thought I remember something like that on those. Just didn't know if one could retrofit A series pump stuff to P. But then again, a good machine shop is worth it's weight in gold :Cheer:

I have a couple A's around here, and a VE front cover...if memory serves me right that would be the best match as far as mounting bases and such...just need time to take a look:D

Chris

I work for Volvo Powertrain/Mack in engineering and development. I jumped on this idea in 2002 wanted to retro fit it on my P-Pumped first gen. After talking to a few engineers about it it was not worth the time or expense of making it work. But yall have fun Ill watch.... :pop:

I have seen Volvo engine with P-Pump and adjustable drive unit.

Volvo system is fully mechanical , oil pressure will change the timing.

I have a couple A's around here, and a VE front cover...if memory serves me right that would be the best match as far as mounting bases and such...just need time to take a look:D

Chris

:evil Now to find out how hard it is to get 400cc out of one...

Well come on man, there's your problem. Never ask engineers' opinions on a jury rig when you can ask farmboy rednecks and hillbilly mechanics. :1tooth:

Hey now, I resent that! LOL But it's true...

I have seen Volvo engine with P-Pump and adjustable drive unit.

Volvo system is fully mechanical , oil pressure will change the timing.

That sounds like the older units. Volvo did not purshase Renault/Mack untill around 2000, I didnt get to see any of there older engines. We do have a camless engine in testing. Maybe that will be my next mod...LOL

That sounds like the older units. Volvo did not purshase Renault/Mack untill around 2000, I didnt get to see any of there older engines. We do have a camless engine in testing. Maybe that will be my next mod...LOL

thats what needs to be done valves that are electronicly controlled like cr injectors. it would open up all kinds of new possibilities

So, I know this thread has been dead for years, but I just thought you all would like to know that I am currently in the process of putting a RP39, or bosch H series pump, on a 12v.

Back