service truck, press ideas?

Fox_91

Stihl Slinger
im a Ag tech and am on the road in a f450 with a service body on it. Truck has crane, abviously loaded with my tools, but im throwing around the idea of best way to get a press in/on the truck. Seen some home-made presses in this section, but those look too bulky to be "mobile" the truck has bedspace, those of you familiar with service trucks know its not much. I was thinking log splitter pump and a "recycled" cylinder from the shop. Anybody done this??

those are also an option, kinda mainly kicking around the ideas of where to put this thing mainly. have crane on passenger side top of tool boxes, and a welder/generator on drivers side top or box up by the cab. would like to keep the "bed space" open as possible tho because of the bulky things these combines and tractors use that i need to haul to the farms often. Looking at drivers side rear mounted on top of bed.

What about a 2 inch receiver mounted outfit? You can throw it on the truck when you think you might need it and then leave it at the shop and lose the weight and bulk when you don't. A pair of quick couplers on the two hoses and you are set. Then it would be center mounted and have the bed to stick drive shafts and junk in when you are working on them.

Buy the pump with an electronic valve instead of the manual one and you could use a remote pendant to control it and just wrap it up in a tool box and mount the pump in there too out of the weather.

http://internationalhydraulicsus.com/hydraulic-components/hydraulic-power-units/dc-hydraulic-units.html

Or wireless if you want to lose a finger. LOL

http://internationalhydraulicsus.com/hydraulic-components/hydraulic-power-units/dc-hydraulic-units/wireless-power-unit-remote.html

Last edited:
reciever mount is a good idea, hadnt thought of that one yet. heck, could even use the crane to put it on/off with :evil

I love thinking up ways for other folks to spend their money. LOL

I "could" design it for you in a 3D model and email you some prints for it..... :evil

Put small casters on it and you can roll it up to the truck and just lift it with the lift. Or, you could drop it on site and use it away from the truck depending on how long your hoses are. Or, design the tongue so that it mounts in the hole while on the ground and use the press cylinder to lift it up to pin it off the ground.

The other question I have is, do you need lots of travel or lots of power? I can see lots of ways to build compact one for a truck. But if you need a large opening just load one when you need it or take the parts back to the shop.$.02

What about a 2 inch receiver mounted outfit? You can throw it on the truck when you think you might need it and then leave it at the shop and lose the weight and bulk when you don't. A pair of quick couplers on the two hoses and you are set. Then it would be center mounted and have the bed to stick drive shafts and junk in when you are working on them.

Buy the pump with an electronic valve instead of the manual one and you could use a remote pendant to control it and just wrap it up in a tool box and mount the pump in there too out of the weather.

http://internationalhydraulicsus.com/hydraulic-components/hydraulic-power-units/dc-hydraulic-units.html

Or wireless if you want to lose a finger. LOL

http://internationalhydraulicsus.com/hydraulic-components/hydraulic-power-units/dc-hydraulic-units/wireless-power-unit-remote.html

Old Tommy lifts have those pumps, some wheel chair lifts do too. I pick them up at auction whenever I can. They aint fast but they put out the same psi as a wet kit

not going for a large opening, we have a rather large couple of presses at the shop for what the one on my truck wouldn't be able to handle. No need to draw something up on the 'cad for me, my dad is a engineer as well. I would do the castors idea and lift up slightly to hook into receiver, but getting in and out of fields with somthing that sat that low at the rear of the truck could get interesting. getting my wheels turning in my mind, might sketch something up on my flight to florida tomorrow.

keep it open sided, like an arbor press. if you need enough power to open that guy up, you should have used more heat to begin with...

it will stay compact and easy to use.

Back