Setting valves on a 12ver

dodge359

Does anyone have a link to the procedures to set the valves on a twelve valve? Im doing something wrong and keep hitting the piston:bang

Are the notches on the dampner TDC and 180*? If it is in the factory location.

Locate #1 TDC with the pin thats under the injection pump, Mark the dampener with a reference point so you can turn it for # 6 TDC.
Next adjust the valves from the front of the engine, Do the numbers 1,2,3,6,7,10, Now pull the locating pin rotate the engine 360 degrees in the direction of rotation back to the mark you made earlier, And adjust the rest of the valves.

Thats probably where I screwed up. I have only been turning it 180*. To make sure: After adjusting te first set I rotate the engine one (1) whole revolution and set the rest.

The pin must be broken off. I turned and turned and turned some more with the pin in and no luck. So do I rotate it until the intake just closes and the exhaust just starts to open or after the exhaust closes?

Which way does the crank rotate, looking at the front of the engine?

The engine rotates clockwise standing in front of it. Get on #1 cylinder intake valve and tighten it 3 full revolutions from where its at now. Rotate the engine gently clockwise until it stops. Mark the damper with a straight edge to any reference point on the block that you like. Rotate the engine backwards gently until it stops. Again mark the damper at the same reference point. Now make a mark exactly in the middle of the two marks. This is tdc of #1 cylinder. This mark is about 1inch from either mark. The actual distance isn't important as long as its in the center of the two previous marks. Now loosen the intake valve setting 3 full turns from the previous setting. Adjust the correct intake and exhaust valves of the correct cylinders. If you don't have this info let me know. Then rotate the engine 1 revolution aligning the tdc mark and adjust the rest of the valves. Jim

I couldn't seem to get that stupid thing pushed in either. So I pulled it out and stuck my finger in there. Rotated the motor until I felt the hole with my finger. Did half the valves. Then marked the pulley on the bottom, ran it around 360 degrees and did the rest.

Another simple way to set the valves is to do this:

1) pull off all the valve covers.
2) 1&6, 2&5 and 3&4 are "pairs" another words when one set of valves are "rocking" you are at tdc exhuast closing intake opening, the pair will be on compression stoke and you can set the valves for the compression stroke cyinder.

I rotate the engine over in the alternator yes backwards but it still works.

I look at the valves when I see on set of valves closing and another opening"rocking", say cyilnder #3 I set the valves on cylinder #4.

This way you can be sure each cylinder is on the compression stoke. Mark the valves you just set and rotate the engine over until you get all six cylinders set. You may end up rotating the engine over several times but it is quicker than the TDC pin and turning tool.

Do you have to hold pressure on the pin under the pump to get it to engage or is it suposed to just pop in there after you push in?

24VChevy said:
I rotate the engine over in the alternator yes backwards but it still works.

I look at the valves when I see on set of valves closing and another opening"rocking", say cyilnder #3 I set the valves on cylinder #4.

This way you can be sure each cylinder is on the compression stoke. Mark the valves you just set and rotate the engine over until you get all six cylinders set. You may end up rotating the engine over several times but it is quicker than the TDC pin and turning tool.
I tried to do that at first, I must be a little slow. Watching all the valves at once was too much for my little brain, so I just stuck my finger in the hole :D I use the alternator as well.

Yes I think the best way would be to watch your opposite cylinder for overlap so when your exhuast and intake valve just pass each other than adjust the opposite cylinder so to adjust the #1 cylinder turn the crank at the front balancer in the CLOCKWISE direction untill on the #6 cylinder the exhuast valve is half way closed and the intake is half way open they will just pass each other than adjust the valves for #1 and then you can go by the firing order to do them it works good for me but it only works on inline engines I am a cat machanic and also use that methed on cat engines and NEVER had a problem. good luck!!!!!!

dodge359 said:
Do you have to hold pressure on the pin under the pump to get it to engage or is it suposed to just pop in there after you push in?
Yea you have to hold it in and turn at the same time, Two people make this job easier, If you cant get it to move, Take a pair of pliers and remove it completely, Now remove the o-ring thats on the plunger, You can feel the hole in the gear easier without the o-ring installed, When the job is done you can install it and be sure to grease or oil it

Or its possible that the pin's nub is broken off already if it is you'll need to feel for the hole in the gear with something.

Back