Sheetmatal Intake Is It Worth It?????????

98xtremcummins

Hey Guys. I'm building a 2.8 turbo race motor. They want to cut the intake off and then do a sheet metal intake. But the cost is pricey. Is It Worth it???

There has been quite a few discussions about this lately. I am not sure that a definate conclusion has been made. Much of what I have read points to no.

What I am taking from all the openions is it is only worth making one if your going to run with out an intercooler and running water.

The issue with running the sheetmetal intake is that you need to cut the intake off to effectively open the intake side up to port. Now you can try to weld the intake back on, many just get the sheet metal intake as it is easier to deal with.

Your building a race motor. Where do you want to draw the line? Get the motor finished and you find out next season the top of the 2.8 class all stepped up more than you did. Then what? Go to pulls intimidated because this truck or that truck has more than you? Hoping for them to run poorly, or content just being a field filler? Only winning at non-sanctioned brush pulls, then why build a race motor? This should be the hottest class next season with trucks really taking it to the extreme.

Your building a race motor. Where do you want to draw the line? Get the motor finished and you find out next season the top of the 2.8 class all stepped up more than you did. Then what? Go to pulls intimidated because this truck or that truck has more than you? Hoping for them to run poorly, or content just being a field filler? Only winning at non-sanctioned brush pulls, then why build a race motor? This should be the hottest class next season with trucks really taking it to the extreme.

Chris you got something against brush pulls? I always have a better time at brush pulls.

If you want to get the most out of your port job and your machines shop has a flow bench to work with then go for it! You are building a race motor right?

intake

like chris said if you want to be in the top of the class you need to BRING IT!

so yes they are worth it so you can get into the intake side and port it! along with the exhaust side and good cam and you should be ahead of the game at the smaller "brush pulls".

i have seen some go to extreme lengths farther than this for the stock turbo and the 2.5/2.6 class. its all how much you want to be in the top 3.

i have had good results with the zz fab intake in the pics.

Attachments

• head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 119
  • motor pics.jpg
    motor pics.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 108
I have heard and seen alot of huge horsepower cummins and stock intakes. I'm not running too many of the big events. They say there isn't much hp gained by doing this. But it's an small edge ahead of the competition if they don't have one. I had also seen in certain rules in certain places that say no aftermarket intakes. Also this is a 12 valve. It's also being built by A Big Name in Pulling. Thanks For all the insight guys.

If you're going all out....cut the intake off and get the full port job.

I am going to cut all my intakes off from now on. You will not make anymore power than having the stock intake on but you will allow your motor to breath better and more equal in every port. Number 1 cylinder has got a huge restriction in it because of the bosses put in for the 3 bolts in the front of the intake. That alone was enough to make me cut off the intake.
I make my own intake because I make it totally different than a zz fab. I think my intake will allow the air to dispurse equal in every port. Remember, just because an add-on doesn't make anymore power doesn't me it isn't helping with something.

I am going to cut all my intakes off from now on. You will not make anymore power than having the stock intake on but you will allow your motor to breath better and more equal in every port. Number 1 cylinder has got a huge restriction in it because of the bosses put in for the 3 bolts in the front of the intake. That alone was enough to make me cut off the intake.
I make my own intake because I make it totally different than a zz fab. I think my intake will allow the air to dispurse equal in every port. Remember, just because an add-on doesn't make anymore power doesn't me it isn't helping with something.

Good point.

I was at a pull this past weekend and had seen one on a scheid built 2.8 motor. It was just a 3 or 4 inch tube with ports welded on and caped on one end and open on the other that went to the intercooler. Looked kinda cool. Also didn't look like it would cost much to build.

jerry lirely with the truck "Scrapped Out" from northern il has a scheid engine with that intake and seems to really pull good every time i have seen him he claims to have mad 1000hp on an ENGINE dyno idk probly mid to high 800s at the wheels with a 2.8 charger and 13mm pump

Thats the one. I didn't want say any names. He's actually claiming more then that more like 1100+ is what he said.

Back