shifting problems

ford4x4

This is my first year pulling and I am still dialing in my truck. I have hooked about 5 times so far this year and continue having a shifting problems. my truck starts out great but at about 150ft it shifts into third and loose all my momentum. then at bout 180-190ft the truck downshifts back to second. A simple solution would be to pull in second but im afraid i will hit my rev limiter. any suggestions would be appreciatted thanks.

Need more info on your truck, fill in your sig. In any event you dont have enough power for 3rd since it wont gain rpm threw it. So youll either need more fuel and air(power), gear change, or you need more rpm and run second, but to get proper help need more infor on truck, engine, trans, gears, mods.

wideopen stage II injectors, hypermax intercooler, dp tuner, traction bars, fass fuel pump

I checked his profile, he has a '97 powerstroke... ;-)

Sounds like you don't have enough power to pull 3rd... use 2nd...

I think Lubeowner was being a little sarcastic:hehe:

Tell us about your truck. 4:10's or 3:73's? Stock turbo?

If you cant run 3rd, then you are going to have to run 2nd. Hitting the "rev limiter" wont hurt it. How many RPM is it turning in 2nd before it shifts to 3rd?

If you have 3:73's, then i would think 2nd gear would be pretty good for a truck with mild power. If you have 4:10's and dont have the power for 3rd, then it may be easier to add power or change tire size than to change the axle gears.

Eric

my truck has 3:73's and yes my turbo is stock. i hit about 38-3900 down the track

Back