Shop lighting.

I am a fan of the flourescents, LEDs are nice and been a year or so since I checked price. One option is to use a standard base screw in, fill it with cfl, and as the price for led drop, you can replace.

You should be able to get rebates from the utility company for the led's. T-5 is old technology and will not qualify anymore. Future repairs on t-5 lights gets expensive. Led should last until the new wave of lighting comes out in the future. I have installed a lot of led fixtures and I haven't been back for many repairs.

Well Just got off the phone with Will @ Big Ass. They are sending me four of their units to try out for 60 days free of charge! Awesome people to deal with. Lights are pricey @ $570 a piece. They are 20k lumens. You can get 10, 14, 20, or 26k lumens. The light simulator says only need 3 rows of 3 for my 50x72 so we shall see how it works outs.

I hope they work out for you, I have read not so good reviews about them.

I got a quote on LED lights from Orion Energy System. I seen them at the farm show and thier lights look really nice and were very bright. I got a little scared away at the price though but compared to the Big Ass light they arent that bad. The 17,000 lumen light was $354, and the 20,000 lumen was $400. Not sure if its worth it for in an at home shop like mine where the lights will only be on a few hours a day.

I got a quote on LED lights from Orion Energy System. I seen them at the farm show and thier lights look really nice and were very bright. I got a little scared away at the price though but compared to the Big Ass light they arent that bad. The 17,000 lumen light was $354, and the 20,000 lumen was $400. Not sure if its worth it for in an at home shop like mine where the lights will only be on a few hours a day.

That is basically twice the price of the flourescents, if you burn them 24/7 then the payback is decent.

burn rate VS lifespan too. Ballasts and bulbs only last so long.

Big Ass light said they use leds made in china due to them not being made the the us. Is this a true statement?

Floating on the Internet and found these while looking for lights for the truck. What do you guys think about these. Looking to just replace three holigen fixtures.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-low-bay-light-fixtures-tri-proof-lights/50w-low-bay-led-light-fixture-industrial-led-light-4-long/2743/5791/

They use the cheaper Epistar LED's. They are 4500 lumes. Typical halogens are 16-24 Lumens per Watt. So those should be atleast twice as bright as a 80w halogen.

I am still really up in the air on what to do. I can do T5 for basically 1/4 of the price of the Big Ass lights.

I am still really up in the air on what to do. I can do T5 for basically 1/4 of the price of the Big Ass lights.

Interesting as they say their 50W fixture delivers 4500 lumens

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/na/images/65030_GE_T5HO_47W_UltraStart_Watt-Miser_System_tcm201-22261.pdf

T5HO from GE at approx 54W delivers 5000 Lumens. LOL

In my previous job I did several lighting retro's from HID to Flourescents and the sales folks would always skew the numbers(not including installation costs etc) in their quotes.

Interesting as they say their 50W fixture delivers 4500 lumens

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/na/images/65030_GE_T5HO_47W_UltraStart_Watt-Miser_System_tcm201-22261.pdf

T5HO from GE at approx 54W delivers 5000 Lumens. LOL

In my previous job I did several lighting retro's from HID to Flourescents and the sales folks would always skew the numbers(not including installation costs etc) in their quotes.

Yea 5K lumens per bulb as 5K times 4 bulbs equals 20k Lumens per hung unit....

Last edited:
Back