Silver Bullet 66mm and Nitrous Questions.

tatkins85

ok guys i need some help tunning my truck im heading to a dyno soon but have to pay 4 only 3 runs so i need to kinda know where to start so i dont waste all 3 runs and not have it kinda dialed in. so i hooked up a nitrous system on my truck really really budget system but think it will probably be around a 100 hp single shot. and i have a 66mm silver bullet from ii. anyways i was wondering whats the max boost pressure you guys are running the silver bullet to. with no nitrous i bring it to 60 max but can i bring it higher with nitrous or do i want it to max out at 60? and what ever is the max 4 the turbo where should i set the wastegate 2 so the nitrous wont bring it over what ever you guys think is the limit? thanks 4 the help guys.

i had my silver bulet set for 52 on the wastegate but i had plenty of fuel to push it to 65 psi anyhow.i would try a .62 pill it worked best for me when i had a similar setup...

Pull your brass elboe out of the compressor and see if its the restrictive one with the tiny hole in it. You could replace it with a reg. 90* and prob. be able to tune your waste gate better, the other 90* wont let enough boost through to open the WG and will result in more boost than you have it set for.

Yeah don't go over 60 psi or you are on borrowed time. Back out the set screw in the boost elbow so you are getting full signal to the actuator. Those internal gates are equal to roughly 40mm have the gate open as soon as possible, they can only flow so much, too much nitrous can overtake the amount these can flow and overspeed the turbine, see below, oh by the way they don't warranty them.

IMG_02631.jpg

IMG_02611.jpg

IMG_02591.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

About what boost pressure did it come apart at? Mine didnt come with a adj. elboe, just a VERY restricted one that allows way to much boost, in my application anyway. I should have gone with a 0-100 gauge but instead only have a 60. and every time i get on it , it instantlly pegs the guage. Its down now, up on the lift waiting for a torq. convertor. Hoping the elboe that i changed out will allow the wg to open and let me adj the boost down to a more managable press. level..

60 lbs puts extra wear on the thrust bearing and will shorten the life immensly.

If you are planning on spraying alot of nitrous an external gate would be a good idea.

After rereading your original post I would not spray it at all until you get the wastegate working better.you may want to remove the adjustable elbow that comes with the turbo and replace it with a regular elbow. you could then put a boost tee from turbosmart inline and have much better control of the wastegate. Though it appears you may just have to much fuel to relie soley on the internal gate to regulate boost.
Personally I would not go over 45-50 psi, after that you are just superheating the air and loosing effeciency.

If mine is set at 45-47 one stage .093 solenoid will get me up to mid 50's, second stage (-4 line tapped out) will go to 65 and it has been there a bunch of times but I haven't had any issues.

I would back the boost down to the 45 area on #2 and let it go from there.

Jim

I would say you are on borrowed time on that charger Jim! $.02
How much of the cooling effect of the nitrous are you losing at 65lbs of boost due to being extremely out of the effiency range of the turbo?

I have done many dyno runs with my truck all at around or over 1000 hp, I have seen no problems with my sb. I dont even know how much boost i am getting, as I only have a 60 psi guage and I pin that

Kevin

external gate? dont know much about this feild. whats the difference in what i have and the external? and do i make it or do i buy it? so you guys think setting the gate at around 40 psi should be good if im spraying? robert do you know how much you guys were spraying im only thinking along the lines of a 2 stg system 1st shot at 40hp and second 4 around 100hp. will this be fine or should i adjust something? thanks 4 your guys help.

This is an external gate setup the gate is mounted on a spacer plate between the manifold and turbo. the outlet of the gate would get plumbed into the downpipe ,or hot pipe in the case of twins. External gates flow substantially more than any internal gate can, and is also more adjustable as far as crack pressure and valve movement.

Attachments

• 019.100184708_std[1].jpg
    019.100184708_std[1].jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 34
ya that wouldnt be good but i thought that only happend beacuse of over boost? my stock gauge can still limit my boost cant it? or dos it not and thats why i would need that aftermarket thing?

The excessive drive pressure when you hit the bottle wants to try to spin your turbo accordingly. You have a gate on the SB but when using nitrous it can, as seen with Adams, send them into orbit. Not saying it will happen for sure but the recipe is there. The factory one can still work for your daily driving and normal usage and set the external up to only open when your really pushing it. Then you can keep the turbo operating on the level it likes to be at, you run it right up to the edge and then keep it there by pushing the excess out the gates.

Back