Single rear wheel?

TAZMAN10

I am putting up this post to get feedback from guys who actually pull. I am not saying this is a fix all but I want honest opinions on this.

We are at the limits of the drive train in the 2.8 class. It looks like a single rear wheel limit of a 35/12.50 limit may be a answer to help save the drive lines and put the pulling back in the drivers hands. Some states are already looking at this because the cost of repair is getting out of control. The idea would be to limit the max tread width to 10.5 inches? Again...not that this is going to happen but I would like to hear opinions.

It should be the pullers choice, if a guy cant afford a few rings and pinions a season theres always the 2.6 class, although i could see it being an advantage for an automatic duramax.

I am putting up this post to get feedback from guys who actually pull. I am not saying this is a fix all but I want honest opinions on this.

We are at the limits of the drive train in the 2.8 class. It looks like a single rear wheel limit of a 35/12.50 limit may be a answer to help save the drive lines and put the pulling back in the drivers hands. Some states are already looking at this because the cost of repair is getting out of control. The idea would be to limit the max tread width to 10.5 inches? Again...not that this is going to happen but I would like to hear opinions.

I dont like limiting tread width. We have rules like out here. I dont care for it. If you want a limit just say rear singles only IMHO. I put a ton of money in my driveline to get it to hold up this year. So far so good but I am in no hurry to bolt on two more rear tires. With an auto I can see doing but not me with my manual trans.

What about limiting the front to a dually style front, preventing people from running duals in the back and the standard offset in the front with a 33/12.5 on it?

I put a ton of money in my driveline to get it to hold up this year.

We have all put the best parts available in and they are still breaking. There is nothing better on the market right now but I understand where you're coming from.

Limiting the front wheel would help the Dodge front end breakage but from what I've seen..the rear seems to be the issue. Short of a Rockwell, I don't think there is anything else out there? I hate to see guys not pulling because they have to replace the rear gear set every 5-7 pulls. We are breaking the yokes off the AAM now which wrecks a ring and pinion most of the time. It is just a thought but may not be feasable?

Some 2.6 guys are already breaking rear ends.

no srw classes there gay! if this happens ill be drinking alot more and spectating, cause a factory dually with srw looks hidious

If your going to look at limiting the contact patch for the rear tire why would it matter how you got there? Using your example of a 12.5 wide tire you could run duals at 6.25 each and be at the same place. You limit it to single tires and your just going to lose more pullers. I think a crappy track breaks more parts then the raw power does anyways and some just refuse to lift when they start bouncing.

if a guy cant afford to break then it is his choice to notpull with duals, if he runs them and cant afford it his fault

Ric - don't go with a tread width rule, just use the manufacturer's size.

There are common 35" x 12.50s that are 11.5 wide in some rim sizes and people would be buying new tires for no good reason.

Even some of the 33" STS will go 11" or somewhere thereabouts.

Going by the sidewall dimension should be good enough. I'm not a big fan of tire rules, but I don't know anyone in the 2.6 world running anything over 35x12.50 singles.

I don't know what to do for duallies. Find out what people are running and see if there is a simple common denominator that can be used like the above.

We have all put the best parts available in and they are still breaking. There is nothing better on the market right now but I understand where you're coming from.

Limiting the front wheel would help the Dodge front end breakage but from what I've seen..the rear seems to be the issue. Short of a Rockwell, I don't think there is anything else out there? I hate to see guys not pulling because they have to replace the rear gear set every 5-7 pulls. We are breaking the yokes off the AAM now which wrecks a ring and pinion most of the time. It is just a thought but may not be feasable?

Some 2.6 guys are already breaking rear ends.

What size yoke are you running? Are you still running 1410s? You can upgrade to 1480.

no srw classes there gay! if this happens ill be drinking alot more and spectating, cause a factory dually with srw looks hidious

I thought you where selling the truck (again) anyway Joe? Running singles on a dually is pretty common out here.

if a guy cant afford to break then it is his choice to notpull with duals, if he runs them and cant afford it his fault

After thinking about it, there is a lot of truth in the above.

I mean, this is kinda like ObamaCare for trucks. Why sanction and create rules for something that is totally under the driver's control?

We have turbo limits in the name of (but not necessarily accomplishing) leveling the playing field. But if you wanna bust your stuff up with too much grip, then why should the rest of the field care?

Unless it's becoming a safety issue.....in which case limits MAY be justified.

BTW did I hear correctly that some super wackadoo aluminum Dmax driveshafts died at SDX?

After thinking about it, there is a lot of truth in the above.

I mean, this is kinda like ObamaCare for trucks. Why sanction and create rules for something that is totally under the driver's control?

We have turbo limits in the name of (but not necessarily accomplishing) leveling the playing field. But if you wanna bust your stuff up with too much grip, then why should the rest of the field care?

Unless it's becoming a safety issue.....in which case limits MAY be justified.

BTW did I hear correctly that some super wackadoo aluminum Dmax driveshafts died at SDX?

Yes you did!

What size yoke are you running? Are you still running 1410s? You can upgrade to 1480.

Im pretty sure he is talking in reference to Troy Wakemans truck, in which case im sure they are running the biggest and best of everything in the rear end.

Eric

Im pretty sure he is talking in reference to Troy Wakemans truck, in which case im sure they are running the biggest and best of everything in the rear end.

Eric

I think he is talking in reference to his own truck. Troys truck started life as a manual trans truck. Which mean it was born with the better 1480 joints just like mine.

I've seen Dodges with home made girdle kits on their rear diff. They claimed the wear pattern on the r&p was not in the same place as when they were set up. Their reasoning was the housing was stressing under load. They said it greatly reduced the carnage.

Limiting the front wheel would help the Dodge front end breakage but from what I've seen..the rear seems to be the issue.

I was thinking more of limiting the front so you don't have as many dually conversions out there. I don't know how much the std front wheel on a dually helps, but everyone has them so it must do something other than look cool.

I want limits to make for a more level playing field, dually vs srw, not limiting to keep people from breaking. If you can't afford to play, stay your broke @ss at home like I have the past two years.

Limiting tires is gay and I am strongly opposed. If you are at the absolute limits of your parts and are tired of breaking them then either detune it a little or push for unlimted drivetrain of somesort not try and limit everyone else. I went three years on stock shafts in my 80 and thats with breaking 3 r&p's on them. So I would say some upgraded shafts should do me fine. To keep my r&p's alive I had to build my own girdle for it and had the gears heat treated to make them a hair softer. Had the cover off to replace the shaft and the gears look perfect, dont even have any stress cracks yet.

Talking to alot of guys that have run duals and single they cant really tell much differance.

The only pullers that try to limit driveline in trucks are the diesels. If you make rules you limit power or enforce safety, not limit how big or durable the parts can be. Unlimited driveline is cheaper than "limited to stock" with billet everything and breaking it.
Diesel truck pulling needs to look ahead to what those in higher levels "NTPA, Outlaw, and PPL" have done when a class needs to evolve. The answer is not keep making smaller classes, but allow the current classes to grow up.

Josh

Back