sketch. revolve. change plane. sketch. extrude cut. change plane. sketch extrude.

PSDPlayer

Captain Negativity!
So I have been playing with Solidworks. Took a screen shot of a partial drawing of a 6.4L piston. Pretty easy stuff to play with. Now I can put this into Mastercam and generate the tool paths so I can CNC the back sides instead of doing it by hand. Make them all weigh the same.

picture.php

Sooooo...you want to weaken a stock piston so it weighs less???

Why not just get a custom set made from Mahle or Ross??

With the stuff Doug has available to him, it won't weaken the piston. There are a few tricks and good places to take out the weight.

Sooooo...you want to weaken a stock piston so it weighs less???

Why not just get a custom set made from Mahle or Ross??

You do realize after the drawing is done that solidworks premium will do Finite Element Analysis. My rendering could be used to make a custom set. But I feed off of negativity so I appreciate the motivation.

You do realize after the drawing is done that solidworks premium will do Finite Element Analysis. My rendering could be used to make a custom set. But I feed off of negativity so I appreciate the motivation.

No, I didn't realize that a computer program could "simulate" every possible piston failure...:bang
I'm sure if it doesn't work, you could submit your information, and they could send out an updated revision thou...

-What-ever blows your hair back man....

Hope it work out good for you!$.02:Cheer:

So I have been playing with Solidworks. Took a screen shot of a partial drawing of a 6.4L piston. Pretty easy stuff to play with. Now I can put this into Mastercam and generate the tool paths so I can CNC the back sides instead of doing it by hand. Make them all weigh the same.

picture.php

You got some cool toys in your sandbox.......

Straight off of Mahle's website:

Design and computation
Our product developments for the combustion engine range from single-cylinder industrial engines to high-performance engines for road or motorsport applications. Competent engineers are available to assist our customers on site. Computer-aided engineering and analysis processes ensure fast, cost-effective design layouts. Modern CAD systems are used throughout the construction and development process to produce analyses or simulations.

Looks like we are using the same stuff. Interesting.

Why don't we just pee in each others Cheerios!

Why don't we just pee in each others Cheerios!
:hehe: Doug said he feeds on people telling him he can't do stuff. There are only a few left on CompD who think for themselves... from what I've seen, Doug's capable. Now get to work on those billet door handles! ;)

Doug, do you have any simulation tools for air velocity and flow patterns?

My 09 solidworks will only do trajectories. It does not have a complete CFD built into it. I can tell you which way its going but not how fast or what pressure.

My 09 solidworks will only do trajectories. It does not have a complete CFD built into it. I can tell you which way its going but not how fast or what pressure.
:( I was hoping to see pretty pictures like this one:
s2_375px_mani_cfd.jpg

Only if you wanted to see stress points. Or loan me 10k to add onto the 14 i spent on 09 with updates for the next 3 years.

10k is cheaper than making it only to find out it doesn't work.

I wanted to get just a basic version of SW to play with....going to have to wait on that one.

Looks good Doug.

Looking good! Hopefully someone will get one of these mythical hyped up 1000hp powerstrokes together. :D (Free motivation)

Back