Sleeved cylinder with .020 over bore

drillpipe

Spent more to go slower
Finally heard from the machine shop and it looks like I need a sleeve on the #2 and the rest need 20 over to clean up. Just trying to decide whether to find another block or go with this one and cross my fingers and hope it holds. From what little I could find searching around it seems like the opinion of most is, it will be OK. Just looking for some opinions from the experience pool before I jump in the deep end and dump all the cash on this one to get it ready for abuse. THX

We do it all the time. I had a machiene shop that got the sleeve in too loose once & it failed at 60,000 miles. A good machiene shop does it all the time with no problems. It will be fine.

If this is on an 06 like your sig states, be sure to get the headgasket that is cut for a sleeve. Also CR engines have different headgasket thicknesses, depending on protrusion. How much is the shop going to charge you to perform this work?

you could have them all bored to .0040 and install over sized pistons from Cummins. That's the max bore Cummins recommends. Nothing wrong with a sleeve though, that's what they're made for :)

Its going in the 06 in my sig. Got a little carried away with the giggle gas last time out. Truck sees a little track time and a lot of street abuse. Running twins, twin pumps, largish injectors, street cam, etc. Will be looking for mid 800-900 on #2 when finished and that is my big concern with the sleeve.

Thanks for the heads up on the headgasket, did not know it took a special cut for sleeve. Was planning on a thicker gasket since the block is getting decked and I was also going to shave a bit off the pistons. Just have to figure out how much to take off the tops now to drop a point or so.

He is going to give me an estimate today when I call and give him the go ahead. I do know that just for boring out the cylinders was going to be $20 a hole.

you could have them all bored to .0040 and install over sized pistons from Cummins. That's the max bore Cummins recommends. Nothing wrong with a sleeve though, that's what they're made for :)

Yesterday when I talked to machinist he was already at .055 on the #2 hole and it still wasn't quite cleaned up yet. It had a really deep groove where th e ring cut it.

We've had half a dozen bored block engines sleeved in our shop when we were rebuilding them. So long as you have a good machine shop I would feel perfectly fine with sleeves. If it were me, I would actually sleeve all six now so that if something happens down the road they just have to replace the sleeve in the bad cylinder. You know one thing I wouldn't mind seeing come out would be a wet sleeve conversion for the 5.9; I like the design of the 8.3's sleeve.

I wouldn't worry about sleeving the block at all if you have a good machine shop. I used to be an engine machinist myself and sleeved many B model Cummins blocks with no failures. There's no special head gasket needed for this. After the sleeve is pressed in, they'll surface the deck of the block and you won't even be able to tell it's sleeved. I wouldn't however, recommend sleeving all 6 for a high horse application. When you get 2 sleeved cyls. next to each other, it puts quite a bit of stress in the block. If I'm not mistaken, you can stress-relief the block but it sounds pricey(6 cyl. sleeves is costly enough). If it were mine, I would ask them to give the block an extra .001" or .002" of piston to wall clearance if you put alot of heat in the cylinder. I used to do this for people that ran them hard and it seemed to really help prevent scuffed cyls.

Who is doing the machine work?

Jim

Teds Engine Machining in near Houston. Specializes in diesel engine work, mostly big truck and heavy equipment engines and reasonable pricing on his work. While he has it getting it bored and tapped for main studs and 14mm headstuds and will check out my rods.

Head is being shipped off tomorrow for a little work as well.:woohoo:

Last edited:
what do sleeves cost?
i have a burnt piston in the 06, and thought about boring it out and sleeving to keep pistons std size.

thanks

cost me right at $500 to have the sleeve done and all the cylinders bored.

We've had half a dozen bored block engines sleeved in our shop when we were rebuilding them. So long as you have a good machine shop I would feel perfectly fine with sleeves. If it were me, I would actually sleeve all six now so that if something happens down the road they just have to replace the sleeve in the bad cylinder. You know one thing I wouldn't mind seeing come out would be a wet sleeve conversion for the 5.9; I like the design of the 8.3's sleeve.

I've always been told you're not suppoosed to sleeve adjoining cylinders

I was thinking maybe the Cummins would be stout enough to handle it, but I'd probably find a new block at that point :eek:

The new motor that I built has one sleeve in it, Rodney did such a good job that you have to know which cylinder he did to tell, no worries here!

Jim

Back