slight rust - temp solution?

JasonCzerak

ae14b9dc-748c-ca85.jpg

depending on the bonus check next year, I may just fix stuff like this or have the clear stripped and the entire truck repainted

what should be done to get through the winter? I'm clueless in body work

I'd take that down to bare metal, clean the rust off and coat it with some primer or other protectant. Just mask off a small square and clean it up then paint over it. At least that's my guess on what to do to get through winter.

Use a small grinder with an 80g disk and grind the rust away. When it is all shiney metal, use a orbital sander with 180g to slick it up.

Spray it with a primer/SEALER. Aresol stuff is a bandaid for now.

The rush to so slight, I can remove most of it with my fingers like it was dirt...

roachie. thanks sounds like something I can pick up at the store and do for a few bucks.

just buy a small quart of rust bullet and use a small paint brush to paint it on. It seals the rust in so it can't spread. I use it on everything.

Mask off a section and hit it with a DA with maybe 220 grit. You can buy a good primer/sealer in a can now at most paint shops. Actually, my local shop will put anyting they can mix into a can for you now. Makes those little jobs a lot faster and easier than busting out the small spray gun.

Back