Slipping trans only when hot?

Diesel Inside

I was checking my tranny fluid the other day and it was a little bit low, but stupid ole me put too much in it. Could this be my problem, I hope since the cluthes are somewhat knew. Well I read somewhere that this can actually cause the trans to slip more when the fluid gets hot. Something about the fluid getting somewhat foamy and causing bubbles to form. I plan on servicing the trans this weekend and putting a deeper pan on (if I dont have to modify my filter pickup) and filling it with the right amount of fluids.

Thanks guys,
Drew

If the clutches are glazed they could slip. Too much fluid can do it too I think, but what are you doing with the truck? Boosted 4x4 launches can glaze up your drive clutches. Do you have a trans temp gauge, if not get one, you could be burning up your trans and not even know it. Wrong tranny fluid can do it too I think. I popped a couple transmissions building boost at the dragstrip this one guy kept stalling in the staging lane while I was boosted and waiting for the prick.

No boosted launched just kinda rolling into the throttle at the top the gear it just kinda skips a beat then I let out. Only does it when hot and also kinda slips then catches from a stop. It feels completely normal when I don't drive it around town and build up heat in stop and go. Also no trans temp gauge, I have to hook up the one from the ADR.

The last transmission that was in the truck before I ripped the engine out was doing that. You should probably phone a diesel trans place to make sure you are not hurting it. It might not be the clutches slipping it could be something else. Diesel transmission can get pricey quickly if you end up having a catastrophic failure. The first output shaft I broke, I was rolling on the throttle like you said and completely destroyed the transmission, even the case! But it was because my transfer case piled up and stopped the trans dead at wide open full boost.

Last edited:
if the fluid is burnt brown color instead of bright red and has a burnt smell you've most likely got some clutch plate damage going on. Servicing it could make matters worse, but might as well see how it goes. Also as stated above if you've already got a problem continuing to drive it could cause damage to hard(not normally replaced parts in basic rebuild) parts which can really add to repair cost.

sounds like clutches and mostly seal issues, leaking pressures. Make sure the cooler flow is sufficient

Serviced the trans friday and it had way to much fluid in it. Got the levels correct and shes back to normal. Thanks guys.

Back