Small turbo upgrade

20valve

Tired 215
With just a #0 plate and a set of GSKs, what would be a good single to keep the temps below the 1300-1400* range? Truck has good power for me now, and I don't forsee any future upgrades to it, except maybe 2-3* more timing (stock now). On long pulls, the temp gets up to around 1500 with no load. I don't mind a little bit of turbo lag, as the new transmission will make up for it. 215 pump too by the way.

A standard S300 variant will do what you need, a BD Super B or 62 mm S300 will keep those temps down.

Put an S300 on there. 62/65/tight housing. Simple and cost effective.

Sorry for the questions, but where would I pick one up, and how much do they run? Also, can you keep the 4" downpipe that goes on the HX35 with those? Thanks for the answers so far. I'll try to look up those tonight if I have time.

As long as you stick to your guns and don't add more goodies, fuel wise (yea right lol) I'd say just put a big wheel in your 35, making it a dodgezilla and bump the timing and maybe keep your eyes peeled for a used ex. housing like a 14 or 16 to replace youe 12.

I have a hybrid HX35/40 with a 16 exaust casing and it do the job more then well !! 40 PSI off boost and low EGT !! pretty cheap to build as well, around 500-600 CND dollar for me !

We can build you a charger for your needs. Your downpipe would have to be replaced or modified to work with the larger HX40 outlet..

Check the forsale section too, lots of 62 turbos out there that would work well. I know a guy selling his 35/40 60/14 hybrid he's only used for a few months.

-Dustin-

Okay, I probably need a bit of schooling on turbos. I've seen a lot of 62/12, 62/14, etc. mentioned. I talked to Smokem a while back, but lost what little bit of knowledge I retained. Is 62 the dimensions of one side or the other in mm?

As for "lighting" it, when would an S300 light at? With the low 1st gear ratio of the new trans (7.05:1 1st, 2nd is 4.13:1), lighting it SHOULDN'T be a problem; at least I'm thinking it shouldn't.

Finally, I see a few people running an HX40, but I've seen more than a few times where something is/will go bad with them. I also remember seeing an upgraded/updated HX40 from an aftermarket manufacturer. Would the hx40 be better for this application than an S300? Thanks for the replies again!!!

If I were you i would stick with either a modded HX35, or an HX40. I am running an HX40. They have weak shafts supposedly, but i think they are fine as long as you treat them right. They need to be kept around 40psi too, but so does an HX35. You dont want a very big turbo for those mods. I just posted some vids of me driving with it in the dodge competition/performance section. The best thing about an HX40 is that they can be found used for around $300-500, where most S300 turbo's are around $1000-1500.

Wow, guess I was way out in left field with my $800-1000 cap then. Is there any way to upgrade the shafts in them? Or does someone sell a beefed-up unit? I saw your video. Truck sounds good and spools pretty good, too.

Okay, I probably need a bit of schooling on turbos. I've seen a lot of 62/12, 62/14, etc. mentioned. I talked to Smokem a while back, but lost what little bit of knowledge I retained. Is 62 the dimensions of one side or the other in mm?

As for "lighting" it, when would an S300 light at? With the low 1st gear ratio of the new trans (7.05:1 1st, 2nd is 4.13:1), lighting it SHOULDN'T be a problem; at least I'm thinking it shouldn't.

Finally, I see a few people running an HX40, but I've seen more than a few times where something is/will go bad with them. I also remember seeing an upgraded/updated HX40 from an aftermarket manufacturer. Would the hx40 be better for this application than an S300? Thanks for the replies again!!!

the first # (62) is the diameter of the compressor wheel inducer in millimeters. The last # is the turbine housing size in square centimeters. If there is a middle # (people often forget the significance of a turbine wheel) it is the turbine wheel exducer diameter in millimeters.

I don't really see a reason that you would need to light the turbo with a first gear that low.

I believe the s300 is a superior turbo, that is why they are so common. They are extended tip unlike Holset turbos. HX40s are decent cheap turbos, but you have to be nice to them, s300s are simply better if you can afford them.

No need to light the turbo that low. I was comparing the closeness of the gears, but somehow forgot to put the others in.

So the S300 sounds like the choice of most. Is the S300 the one borg warner makes, and others sell? Or am I confusing that with something else? I'm trying to find the best price on it, without the polished covers and anything else that may be considered for looks only.

Yes the S300 is a series of chargers from Borg Warner. As you may find in your search they come in a number of configurations. Its what you need in my opinion. Small and simple, and like you said no bling.

People have made good hp increases by just adding an 18.5 exhaust housing as well..

HP would be nice as a side benefit, but do the EGTs stay cooler because of it? I think mine is due for a replacement anyways, wether another stock or an aftermarket one. The intake side (sorry, not sure if it's the impellar or not) has some dings and nicks in the blade. Looks like someone was chewing on it.

I dont want to hijack this thread but im also interested in this. With stock injectors and pump mods i can barry the boost gauge past 40psi with my stock hx35...not good. whats the deal with the hx40's ive heard the have weak shafts but have never heard of any1 breaking one?

The HX40 is very under rated nowadays with the coming of the S300 variants.If your looking to run one just make sure the cover is pinned and it will do the job you want,unless your really radically fueled.They still remain one of the best bangs for the buck if the proper steps are taken to ensure longevity.......Andy

thanks for the info andy, i will probably send you a couple pms if i decide to go with the hx40. thanks again

I just installed a used Aurora 2000 turbo from ATS and it rocks for what I'm doing, with my old HX 35 I could peg the pyro at 1500 degrees with a 100 plate and 215 injectors and the boost was around 38-40 psi. With the new one I hard pressed to get to 1200 degrees and the boost is about the same pressure wise it starts building boost faster and earlier than the Holset did. I got a good deal on the turbo.

Back