smashed axle tubes

seriousdiesel

Well after getting a driveshaft yoke and getting the truck back together from breaking at new centerville We noticed a vibration. After a little further inspection of the rearend I noticed the axle tubes were smashed from the housing rotating and the pinion was pointed slightly upwards. Looks like the plugs ( actually appears to be rivets instead of welds) that hold the axle tubes are also tweaked and stressed. I tried getting some pictures but couldnt get any that really showed up well. I have found a couple axles, but was wondering if anyone had had this happen to them and what they did to beef up the axle so there is no next time. I thought about plating and reinforcing the mounts to the axle, or maybe some traction bars? Any suggestions?

By the way heres the pull again, the truck dynoed 719 recently,on fuel only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzRdOAT7nk

nathan

I knew I had seen it before, did the traction bars help prevent it from happening again?

thats wild lol, talk about some serious torque to mash metal like that lol

You pulled a 720hp truck with no traction bars? :badidea:

The traction bars should help a lot. The reason the driveshaft yoke broke was probably because of the axle coming forward so much. It changes the angle, and tries to compress the driveshaft. It may have helped with the axle tubes spinning too, but the best bet on that is to weld the axle tubes to the center section.

Eric

Yes mike it was, He smiled and laughed the whole time...... He wants to pull the truck but refuses to drive it, lol. I get driving duties, I've pulled it probably 10 times this year.

its definitley time for some traction bars, a weight bar, some welded axle tubes, and a diet. hes been looking at new dodges and if he gets one, This will be a 2.8 class dedicated puller. we will see what happens when the doge dealer gets back with the quotes.

Well tell him good luck!!!

Any news on your blue dodge??
what about your old ford puller??

The blue dodge is getting built this winter as a dedicated puller home hell or high water. I put an engine and trans in the ford so i could pull this year and before i got it all hooked up i sold the trans out of it lol.

Back