Smoking out your tail and head lights

Megaslab
Has anyone used that spray paint stuff that advance auto parts sells that smokes out your tail lights.If so how well does it work

I whent to jones paint and they mixed up a can of tint that worked really well.
My budy used some stuff from auto zone and it ended up like a flat black and looked terrible. So I gues it just depends on what you use.

yea..i'm just no crazy about spray painting my tail lights if it's going to look like crap

then dont use the tint autozone sells. I think it was the vht stuff

my buddy did his car with VHT Nightshades, it turned out like a semi-transparent satin black. It really looks good if you put it on in thin layers and dont get any runs.

i used the VHT but it fades in the sun pretty quick. my secound set i had a paint supplier mix me up some they have to different types. a all in one whick i used or a like base and then sealer coat two step.

I use the VHT nightshades, Ive done a bunch of tail lights, mirror lights, etc. with it and it all holds up well but after spraying that on I wetsand with 800 and 1500 grit and use a good quality clear coat and spray 3 coats on

I haven't had good luck at all with the VHT stuff.... it cracks and looks real dull..... I would like to try some model car tint and come back with clear, but I havent yet!

I have been using clearcoat with black mixed in for years now and it works great. You get a nice glossy finish and it lasts. As far as legal issues I've been told that it must be reflective from 200 feet so I will sometimes mask the reflector off and spray a few coats over the whole light first then unmask the reflector for the last few coats,I do the same on the backup light part too so I can see when backin at night. Good luck,Brian.

I have done a few different sets of tails/third brake lights/cab lights with VHT Night Shades and I think it all depends on your prep work. Clean the surfaces really well, mask off good and if you can wet sand and use a quality clear coat to finish it off. Put it on in lights coats and don't be in a hurry (I have done this and made runs or came out with a crackle finish look..so it is well worth it to take your time and do it right the first time). Hope this helps.

if you use the vht stuff just make sure you wet sand it and polish it when your done and it will turn out really clean and glossy. my friend did this on his 2nd gen eclipse and they look amazing.

guess i'll have to try the stuff from auto zone first..if i don't like it i can always buy another lens i guess

defiantly do the mixing black with clear trick. i did this with my marker lights, clearance lights, and break light and there really glossy and it is a tough finish. The amount of shading is controllable as it depends on how many coats you do.

vht here- one can did 2 sets of tails - 1 third brake light and 2 sets of cab lights
IMG00542-20100830-1604.jpg

IMG00528-20100829-1345.jpg

03170095183600.jpg

Back