SO pump on HO motor

cumminalltheway

Alright guys I just threw an SO pump on there and it runs but when reving it throws white smoke. I do have the dreaded 0216 code, do i need to change the ecm off of a SO motor. I want to hear from the guys that have a SO pump on a HO motor. Did get a bad pump......

P0216 Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure.
High fuel supply restriction, low fuel pressure or possible wrong or incorrectly installed pump keyway.

I put one on mine....no problems. What's your lift pump fuel pressure?

would putting the keyway from the HO to the SO pump work. I have heard that the keys need to match for them to work. help me with this guys

You should have had a key with the SO pump you got. It does need to be the correct one as they have different ones for some reason. Beyond that everything should work fine, I have an SO pump instead of the HO I had originally with no issues.

did the keyway match the SO pump or did it match the HO pump. the SO keyway matches the SO pump but the keyway in my HO is a different number. what do i do......

The key has to match the number on the pump. If the pump has a 036 stamp, the key needs to be a 036 and the arrow points toward the pump.

i think that i got a bad pump. i will pull it out tomorrow. would it honestly make a difference if the arrow was facing the other way.

Uhh, yea, cause that would mean that the keyway offset was backwards..... worse than using the wrong key.

i pulled the keyway and the number is correct and the arrow is facing the pump. So i guess i got screwed. i am pretty mad.

I used the keyway that came with the SO injector pump.
Lift pump fuel pressure also operates the injector pump timing device
Low lift pump fuel pressure won't let the internal injector pump timing work..white smoke.

I used the keyway that came with the SO injector pump.
Lift pump fuel pressure also operates the injector pump timing device
Low lift pump fuel pressure won't let the internal injector pump timing work..white smoke.

Negative. you cant run the truck w/o a lift pump, VP wont last long though.

Ya I had my 98 wired up a toggle switch and forgot on multiple occasions to turn it on :hehe: The power lose is noticeable when you run your truck around w/o the fuel pump turned on.

yeah you will be able to suck the vp down without a lift pump feeding it. But the computer isnt going to change timing because of it.

well i talked to a guy that told me to use the key from the HO pump and that will solve the problem. should i even waste my time trying this......

Back