So this happend in less than 24hrs....

I had a girl come to my shop a few years ago with one of those running like crap and I ended up taking it on because I wanted to bang her. Come to find out a bunch of the rocker arms broke (stupid design.) We ended up doing a set of rockers, an egr delete, cleaning the intake, GDE tune, timing belt, water pump, and throttle valve delete.

Also ended up doing a fuel heater delete, since it kept sucking in air through the fuel heater. Apparently that's a common problem.

The cams require a special tool to lock them in place when doing the timing belt. I ended up making my own tools, just took some bolts and put a point on the end of them to hold the cams in place. Also the cam gears aren't keyed onto the camshaft just the retention of the bolts holds it in place. Really stupid design. There are no timing marks on the cams either, so you have to have those tools.

At the end of the day it was a real pain in the ass to work on, but once I had done the entire job I was surprised on how well it drove. It had a ton of low end power and drove around town like a dream. If one came across my lap at the right price I'd probably be all over it.

I had a girl come to my shop a few years ago with one of those running like crap and I ended up taking it on because I wanted to bang her. Come to find out a bunch of the rocker arms broke (stupid design.) We ended up doing a set of rockers, an egr delete, cleaning the intake, GDE tune, timing belt, water pump, and throttle valve delete.

Also ended up doing a fuel heater delete, since it kept sucking in air through the fuel heater. Apparently that's a common problem.

The cams require a special tool to lock them in place when doing the timing belt. I ended up making my own tools, just took some bolts and put a point on the end of them to hold the cams in place. Also the cam gears aren't keyed onto the camshaft just the retention of the bolts holds it in place. Really stupid design. There are no timing marks on the cams either, so you have to have those tools.

At the end of the day it was a real pain in the ass to work on, but once I had done the entire job I was surprised on how well it drove. It had a ton of low end power and drove around town like a dream. If one came across my lap at the right price I'd probably be all over it.
You left out the part we all care about, did you get to hose the girl or what?

From all I have read the EGR is a major killer on these motors and cokes of the oil which in return causes the rocker arms to fatigue.

I plan on doing the timing belt and it's definitely tedious time consuming work. Already have the EGR delete components on the way and found a used European style intake elbow which will allow for a factory like delete on the intake valve.

As you said, these thing are a blast to drive around town and considering I'll have less than $5 into this this with only 115k miles on it, and less than $6k factoring the budget build stuff I'm doing for reliability, it's a no brainer for ththe power it can give.

As a side note, when I do the timing belt I plan on pulling all the rockers for inspection and cleaning, then installing ARP head stud prior to build back. Factory they run around 20psi, and guys have been safely running 30-35psi studded.

From all I have read the EGR is a major killer on these motors and cokes of the oil which in return causes the rocker arms to fatigue.

I plan on doing the timing belt and it's definitely tedious time consuming work. Already have the EGR delete components on the way and found a used European style intake elbow which will allow for a factory like delete on the intake valve.

As you said, these thing are a blast to drive around town and considering I'll have less than $5 into this this with only 115k miles on it, and less than $6k factoring the budget build stuff I'm doing for reliability, it's a no brainer for ththe power it can give.

As a side note, when I do the timing belt I plan on pulling all the rockers for inspection and cleaning, then installing ARP head stud prior to build back. Factory they run around 20psi, and guys have been safely running 30-35psi studded.

I daily a jeep... amazing how convenient they are for around town vs driving a ECLB around for years. Dont go to ape chit on the thing or you'll be back in your dually.

I daily a jeep... amazing how convenient they are for around town vs driving a ECLB around for years. Dont go to ape chit on the thing or you'll be back in your dually.

True!

The factory turbo is in really good shape and has 0 play in it, but I just like weird $hit and theres thenperfect amount of room for a small compound kit.

The EGR is defiantly the root of all evil, as it is with most diesel engines. If I were you I'd just replace the rockers if you are going to be there. If I remember right the price isn't really terrible. $350 bucks or something like that.

The timing belt wasn't too bad, but you REALLY have to take your time and be patient.

The EGR is defiantly the root of all evil, as it is with most diesel engines. If I were you I'd just replace the rockers if you are going to be there. If I remember right the price isn't really terrible. $350 bucks or something like that.

The timing belt wasn't too bad, but you REALLY have to take your time and be patient.

So I got around to digging through the enigine bay a bit more, and from the looks of the newer looking metal on the water pump, new /aftermarket serpentine belt, newer looking idler and tensioner pullies and the top timing cover bolt missing its highly likely the timing belt has been done already. Gonna be one of those trust but verify type situations as I still plan to go ahead and do the rockers and ARP studs at the same time. All the above listed items are actually sold as a kit. I'm hopeful this is the case as thats a major time saver and goes along nicely with the concept I have of a cheap/ work sales and project vehicle.

20190303-165357-001.jpg

20190303-165243.jpg

20190303-165249.jpg

20190303-165304.jpg

20190303-165339.jpg

Between the levelng kit and bigger tires/ rims it gained about 3" of height. Definitely looks more presentable.

20190303-193411.jpg

Last edited:
wow, somebody did the whole job, replaced all that should be at the same time as timing belt. you are one lucky sob.

wow, somebody did the whole job, replaced all that should be at the same time as timing belt. you are one lucky sob.

Agreed!

I know the transmission looks to have been out at some point and the fluid is fresh and pink. Shifts beautifully under all driving conditions.

Battery obviously is newer, and I know the starter has been replaced based on looking at it.

Regardless of that, I still feel like I got a good deal with paying only $4560.

What are you getting for fuel mileage with this? Before and after the big tires?

I've been really interested in one, but not sure about the reliability and the fuel mileage. I commute around 400 miles a week. Would like something good on fuel.

What are you getting for fuel mileage with this? Before and after the big tires?

I've been really interested in one, but not sure about the reliability and the fuel mileage. I commute around 400 miles a week. Would like something good on fuel.

Haven't been able to update this much this week. Got my first taste of "storm chasing" working South of Houston about 1.5hrs from me and this week was the perfect test for what you ask.

I logged for my own curiosity what it would be, and drove over 600miles this week in mix traffice crossing through the city and getting stuck in rush hour traffic every day. Thats not even counting the fact I literally idled for at minimum 3-4 hrs a day.

Even with setting my cruising speed at 82 which was around 2100rpms and all the above, I still averaged about 18.4mpg.

I'd likely have gotten 20-25 if I didn't idle so much, and slowed to 70-75. One day I cranked it at 7am, and it didn't turn off til almost 9pm.

I ordered the egr plate and actually found the oem European non emissions intake manifold on ebay for $29 and had it shipped from Bulgaria which was another $38.

20190308-203117.jpg

Planning on doing all the deletes this week since it's raining here, and we'll see how the mileage changes following that.

Back