So whatcha think about this idea,..

OT-OF-Here

Owner of the Black Beach
Would this work??

If cooler,.. denser air is what we seek, then what about

1) A coil wrap filled with Freon around the IC pipes, or

2) A Freon sheath for the IC pipes???

Would it work and would/could it be cost affective?

Thoughts?

are you talking about tieing it into the exsiting ac system of the truck? there has to be some kind of pressure drop for it to get cold i think i am misunderstanding need some more detail

I think it is a good idea but you would have to think of a way to move the freon with an electric pump of some sort. You would not want the draw of a belt driven pump if you are going for an all out performance application.

Joe

I think it would be a great idea to ad after the current cooler in place, between cooler and inlet, now if you could overcome the power to run the ac condensor is yet to be seen. you sure could make it slick by installing valves to redirect charge from going to cool the cab, to cool the intake charge instead

Look on Ebay - just about every tuner site has a CO2 cooler pipe with the tubes wrappedaround the pipe available and will cool colder than freon will, and are about $250 each

There are other ones that run the pipes through the pipe, but that cuts down airflow

Both would be suspect as to short term effectiveness ie 18-20 seconds as you are really only cooling the air n contact with the surface(s)

Design Engineering 080110 CO2 Cooling Air Intake Kit:eBay Motors (item 390130064240 end time Dec-18-09 02:21:16 PST)

S-MAX Ice Tube 3 inch Cold Air Intake Chiller Turbo CO2:eBay Motors (item 350063302225 end time Dec-14-09 12:32:05 PST)

you can buy nitrous spraybars for your intercooler as well, but I think your associaiton would veto that one really quick

Last edited:
Or spray the IC with nitrous. Maybe a nitrous sheath for the IC piping? For a while, someone was making some kind of glass ball that went into the charge pipe that was nitrous cooled to chill the charge temps, but I think they went out of business? I only ever saw it on the net a few years ago, I don't think it ever caught on, but was a good idea.

I'm beginning to like this,..

I think it would be a great idea to ad after the current cooler in place, between cooler and inlet, now if you could overcome the power to run the ac condensor is yet to be seen. you sure could make it slick by installing valves to redirect charge from going to cool the cab, to cool the intake charge instead

Would using a small inverter like guys run underhood for small power tools
using 120v pump from a refridgerator,... with it bed mounted or run one large battery and put it in place of the 2nd battery.?? That way you could just dial it to where you want the cooling and NOT take an engine draw by running your A/C unit.

Thoughts?

The factory condenser is in front of the charge air cooler....

Even the factory system is pretty small in btu's.

By the time u add all that gear u could just add a better intercooler or aair to water system on top of thecurrent intercooler and see more benefits without all the added complications and weight

an inverter, properly sized could run a compressor for a fridge, just wonder the gains for all this work, and the power to run that inverter has to come from somewhere, even the alternator work will show up. you have twins right ot ? how bout adding a cooler between the chargers ?

Twins

an inverter, properly sized could run a compressor for a fridge, just wonder the gains for all this work, and the power to run that inverter has to come from somewhere, even the alternator work will show up. you have twins right ot ? how bout adding a cooler between the chargers ?

See PM.

not to be an ass but this is a dumb idea IMO. a way more effective method would be to add a N2O or Co2 spray bar in front of the IC

and then when ya pull along side that vette, ya look over and your tank of n20 or co2 is empty..... this idea does not run out......

If this is for drag racing then what are you going to do about the condensation.
The lightning guys already have something like this here is a link. Home Page

looks like 600 to 750 for the vehicles they show, who knows for a custom setup what they would charge knowing also capacity would have to be engineered as well.

pat- u cant just spray the intercooler with nitrous?

how often u gonna need it? thought u were making a 1/4 mile killer.
joel

IC Cooling

pat- u cant just spray the intercooler with nitrous?

how often u gonna need it? thought u were making a 1/4 mile killer.
joel

Just exploring options and I'm amazed at the options that have expanded my thinking on this thanks to all the good input,... as I had hoped. And yes,.. the 1/4 is still my personal goal. Obviously the function is viable or the Lightning folks wouldn't be using it. Now,.. is it adaptable at a reasonable cost vs result.

On occasions I drive a 33k lb straight truck,... when it's cool to cold out and damp, she will give me 5mph more on top end and sotp for take offs and acceleration is significant. This is what has me thinking about alternatives here. Translate that to our trucks!

Cobra's and Lightnings have a 3" X 12" water to air aftercooler mounted below a 45% efficiency Eaton blower, they need all the help they can get.

Seems pointless to me, again the air conditioning condenser (HOT) is in front of the charge air cooler.....

Cool ever so slightly the intake air only to heat it up again when this hot air passes through the charge air cooler.

NET HEAT :bang and $$$ to drive the compressor.

Back