So whatcha think about this idea,..

I'm under the impression it's a controlled substance? Pretty sure you have to be licensed to possess liquid nitrogen. That's just for starters, I'm sure if you could get a hold of it and figure out how to contain it, it could be used.

I'm under the impression that it boils at -320*F which the rapid expansion of liquid to gas at atmospheric temps is what generates the cooling or heat sinking effects? Plus I think it has to be held under vacuum as pressure increases boiling point which is adverse for liquid nitrogen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a machinist, not a scientist.

I would just spray the IC with nitrous, but a freon chilled IC looks promising, IF you can get it efficient enough to gain HP vs what is robbed by the A/C pump.

I doubt a refrigerator unit would be efficient, otherwise it would have already been done. For the little bit of BTU that you could lose or cool would be lost in mechanical inefficiency of the alternator. Again, not saying I could be wrong.

Forrest,

it's been done... 15yrs ago

Do you have any details on how it worked or was setup. With advances in virtually everything in the past 15 yrs,... maybe the time is right. Whatcha got on this??

Last edited:
there was an air/freon cooler for the old Syclone/Typhoon trucks...

if you want to cool down an intake charge and make the most of it, just spray nitrous oxide :eek:

So,

Is this a good reason to spray pre-intercooler rather than through the intake horn? Seems like their might be more value that way. I haven't sprayed yet so I don't know. Am I all wet with that?

Intangible my first stage of nitrous pre intercooler and the second stage post. I've always been told it helps cool the charge if you spray pre cooler.

If your concerned about 1/4 mile mainly I would definately look into an intercooler spray bar with a lage bottle, you can even make our own with som patience a small drill bit and some 1/4" tubing. Get about 50' of the tubing and make it cover the entire intercooler by running it back and forth then remove and drill your holes 1" apart. If your really ambitious make a similar one for the other side of the cooler so it gets sandwiched between a wall of freezing air.

You don't want the co2 sucked into the intake- better to use a closed system.

Liquid nitrogen costs less per gallon than milk. :rockwoot:

Back