some feedback from the new version hami head

DEZLFREK

my licence plate says it
Well again Zach made a better product and let me try after my previous fiasco.
It is better im really on the fence about doing what it think will make it work or just going back to a stock head.
The original head as discussed I cut .060 off the head to get the valve protrusion and ended up with around .017 average. This was to enhance low lift flow. We also back cut the vavles and did 37.5* valve seats.. Well the valves hit with even .150 reliefs. so i had to go with a .020 head gasket. So the result was the truck smoked at anything over 5psi boost.. more fuel, more boost, more smoke.. un acceptable really.. or at least to me and why i built the truck. I had to go to stockish 215 injectors, a higher stall, and a 62mm turbo and i can hardly still pull a trailer..

The new head Zach had some swirl wings brazed in to the intake ports.. and only decked the head .020 so i also put a standard head gasket in.. well its better, now if i drive over 2ooo rpms and over 20 psi boost it acctually cleans up.. problem is i dont normally drive there or anything close to that with a trailer.. so .. i have to downsize turbo or go back to a stock head.. with a stock head i was able to run almost smoke free with my ddp4's and bigger turbo.. so any hp i loose from a stock head i can make up with more boost..
I have to say thanks Zach for the opportunity and trying to make a better product for the diesel enthusiest..

im leaning toward a stock head with the mild things to enhance it, like some cleanup work and back cutting the vavles..
yes we cleaned up the second generation valves also. i think the head works good but just does not have the low rpm velocity to perform on the street like i want. im guessing that the bigger valves and ports work well on top just not on the bottom.. I also think that the added swirl did nothing but good for the overall performance.

im leaning toward a stock head with the mild things to enhance it, like some cleanup work and back cutting the vavles..
yes we cleaned up the second generation valves also. i think the head works good but just does not have the low rpm velocity to perform on the street like i want. im guessing that the bigger valves and ports work well on top just not on the bottom.. I also think that the added swirl did nothing but good for the overall performance.

leave the head on. put in a stock 12v cam and i bet it runs way better.....

thanks for the imput... one the reasons i got the head was to make it better for what i use and built the truck for.. before i could run a cam, ddp4, 191's and a 66 top turbo. now i have stock injectors, 131's and a 62 tubo and it smokes way to much for a street truck to me.. im going back to a stock head at some point and hope it what i built it for again.. i tried..

Thats interesting. I think there's something amiss with the cam. I have almost identical setup (head wise) with .150 valve reliefs on stock compression, running a 200/220 cam and the valves only needed .010 clearance. Of course i don't drive on the street, but it's really clean in lower rpms.

^ I meant I had .140 too much clearance for the valves. That's what makes me think something is wrong there.

Back