some tech help plz.....

PDW, PDI, Relentless...etc.
If I was having my motor done it would be a PDW motor.

Boy! am I glad I do ALL my own work. Your right feelmecummin, the fuel system is get it right or get it wrong. hit or miss is expensive with a CR. CR rail is like STAR TREK compared to 12V.:hehe:

sootman said:
Boy! am I glad I do ALL my own work. Your right feelmecummin, the fuel system is get it right or get it wrong. hit or miss is expensive with a CR. CR rail is like STAR TREK compared to 12V.:hehe:
Clearly the fueling system is different but he needs bottom end work. I can't think of a reason why Scheid would not be able to do that? I'd say that would fall right into their specialty. Do some 14mm studs while they are in there and you'll be good to go. I'm sure they'd be more that capable of adding the 2nd CP3 and a Mitusa to maintain fuel flow if he doesn't want to do the rest himself.
Now as far as the tuning goes, isn't that really more controlled electronically by your choice of Smarty, MP8, Triple Dog, Flux Injectors, Turbo, & etc and more trial and error than anything? Maybe if you are changing pistons and cams there might be some more things to consider. Just thinking out loud.
I've heard of the other shops that feelmecummin mentions, but just don't know anyone with first hand experience with them. I'm sure they're fine, I just know several folks very well that have dealth with Scheid with excellent results. These involve 12v, 24v and yes CR trucks.

i know people that have worked at scheid, its alot different on the inside than what you see. other "machine" shops that are local to me, i wouldnt trust (again) to build me an nv4500...or 4 of them for that matter, none of which lasted more than two weeks, werent warrantied due to "abuse". Would i give them 10k for a motor, HELL NO!!! scheid can build a bottom end, no questions there. however, if im going to have the cam ground to spec, and try to get everything to work in harmony stay with one shop, that knows everything done to the motor. you might want to look into mahle pistons instead of arias pistons. i have heard a few horor stories of arias pistons. get HD rod bolts for sure, the 12's or 14's are your pocketbooks call. you can pm me with more info on your motor if you like, and i will share more stories about local shops, not bashing, but sharing experiences that have happened to me/my friends with these shops. there are also great stories from these shops as well, but unless you plan on spending at 25k, i wouldnt expect any kind of special treatment. these reasons are the foundation for the company that i am starting.

Roy

Last edited:
also i would go ahead and put valve springs in if you are going with the cam.

Roy

As far as machine work and assembly are concerned, I would think that any reputable performance shop could handle the block, unless there is something special needed to bore/hone a Cummins. And blueprinting/assembly is something that any reputable engine builder should be able to accomplish with great success. Having said that, I'd call around, get the best machine shop possible, then build it myself. I would have no question in my mind, then, that it was assembled correctly. It's not rocket science... last time I checked...:hehe:

feelmecummin said:
also i would go ahead and put valve springs in if you are going with the cam.

Roy
I completely agree with that. I put my cam in first. I don't feel like I got the full benefit from it until I added the valve springs...not to mention I was always worried about floating a valve until I put the new springs in.

Tiger Rag said:
I completely agree with that. I put my cam in first. I don't feel like I got the full benefit from it until I added the valve springs...not to mention I was always worried about floating a valve until I put the new springs in.

just more insurance for that big buck motor. its the many "little parts" that make a great motor, go for totalseal piston rings as well. are you considering any decompression?

feelmecummin said:
i know people that have worked at scheid, its alot different on the inside than what you see. other "machine" shops that are local to me, i wouldnt trust (again) to build me an nv4500...or 4 of them for that matter, none of which lasted more than two weeks, werent warrantied due to "abuse". Would i give them 10k for a motor, HELL NO!!! scheid can build a bottom end, no questions there. however, if im going to have the cam ground to spec, and try to get everything to work in harmony stay with one shop, that knows everything done to the motor. you might want to look into mahle pistons instead of arias pistons. i have heard a few horor stories of arias pistons. get HD rod bolts for sure, the 12's or 14's are your pocketbooks call. you can pm me with more info on your motor if you like, and i will share more stories about local shops, not bashing, but sharing experiences that have happened to me/my friends with these shops. there are also great stories from these shops as well, but unless you plan on spending at 25k, i wouldnt expect any kind of special treatment. these reasons are the foundation for the company that i am starting.

Roy

Good info. You've got a huge advantage where you are located to have a ton of reputable diesel performance shops in your neck of the woods. You can shop price and get referrals in quantity. You Indiana guys got it made! :bow:

Tiger Rag said:
Good info. You've got a huge advantage where you are located to have a ton of reputable diesel performance shops in your neck of the woods. You can shop price and get referrals in quantity. You Indiana guys got it made! :bow:

which also makes it that much harder to start a business up in the same line of business. while i dont have a machine shop at the moment, you would be suprised at all the work that is contracted out of the local shops. Other than assembly, there is very little little that is actually done in the "machine" shops. While some of these shops do offer a very good final product, customer service is at an absolute minimum. once again, not bashing, sharing actual experiences!!!
$.02

Edit: sorry about the hijack, I'm just local to many of these shops and know a ton of people that have used them, and i def. don't want you to regret spending that much money somewhere only to not have what you wanted EXACTLY.

feelmecummin said:
which also makes it that much harder to start a business up in the same line of business. while i dont have a machine shop at the moment, you would be suprised at all the work that is contracted out of the local shops. Other than assembly, there is very little little that is actually done in the "machine" shops. While some of these shops do offer a very good final product, customer service is at an absolute minimum. once again, not bashing, sharing actual experiences!!!
$.02

Edit: sorry about the hijack, I'm just local to many of these shops and know a ton of people that have used them, and i def. don't want you to regret spending that much money somewhere only to not have what you wanted EXACTLY.

Sure, and you can see why there is a price for customer service with a professional shop. They guys I've known that have used Scheid have had good service. Some of the others I mention I've heard good things from based on conversations others I know have had. Good example is I've had great service from Peter at South Bend and I'll return to him in the future. Tim Barber has been very good to me over the years as well. Folks shop with whom they feel comfortable with. I do realize there are many, very capable shops out there though.

Good luck on your venture. I hope it works out for you.:Cheer:

PS. oh, and sorry for my contribution on the derailment. Just trying to help you find a good shop.

Thanks dudes... I do appreciate the comments related or not. I did do my research and asked many, many people about Scheids before calling them. Not one person had anything bad to say and in fact thought it was a good chose using them.

I'm am doing a cam along with new valves and seats. They aren't doing anything to my fueling besides checking the injectors. The tips will still be sent to Extruded Hone as long as they're good. I've had the rail honed also.

They will probably install the dual pump which I'm sure they can handle.... although, they've never put one on before.

What I liked about the machining was, they tell me their guy does their work and only their work. They obviously are able to keep him busy 40hrs a week.

One thing I'll say about any and all shops..... every one of them will tell you a different story. Either about how what they do is the correct way and how you shouldn't use another shop or how another shop is wrong. There's no way to know who or what to believe, especially when you don't know yourself.

I've been going on gut feeling and my basic knowledge with this whole venture. I knew enough to break the motor down and get it back together but, I'm very limited on tools and sources for machining that know what they're doing. I'd have liked nothing better than to have done all the work myself.

So, here's as much a break down of the work to be done as I can say....

head port/polish
new valves
permanent valve seat
new springs
new cam
bored block w/ new pistons & possibly rods
fire ringed
honed rail
dual CP3
100hp honed injectors
thought about the ZZ intake but... to much cash
14mm studs
already have a HTT 64/14 w/ ATS manifold
oil cooler !!

Whadoyathink ?? will it make some HP ?

:what:

Last edited:
Block

Its a block stiffiner that adds extra support to the bottom end.

righthttp://www.haisleymachine.com/Head%20Gaskets%20&%20Studs.htm

past the head studs on the link above it shows a girdle--chris

talk to JetPilot as he may have access to some if I recall correctly, but I may be totally way off base, but it seems he did----chris

that's for the 24v I assume. Apparently they'd need to be custom made anyway. I thought the bottom end on these didn't need much more modification ?

they're available for the 12V trust me--I was just showing you what it was in the link--sorry should've made that clear.......chris

Back