Soot on track affecting traction?

Someone in the bracket class did have coolant leaking bad.They left a puddle in line 4. It wasn't a 6 leaker but a Dodge. THATS RIGHT! A DODGE!!!!

A Dodge eh? ....Perhaps a freeze plug that died of old age? ...dunno man, I'm stumped. First time for everything I guess. :evil

Have you ever inspected the track after 2 rounds of 20+ ET trucks? The groove from the rear wheels to just past the beams is like polished concrete and just as slick!:eek::doh:

It doesn't have anything to do with "soot". Personally I believe it is mainly due to tires.

1- Guys with aggressive A/T tires, or just plain street tires, trying to be cool by doing big smokey burnouts:badidea: All that does is make an already "not track friendly" tire more greasy and promote more tire spin.

2- A/T tires, by their design, bite into and remove the rubber and glue from the track. Add those same type tires spinning and it is like taking a grinder to the track.

3- The guys that start spinning then proceed to do an 1/8 mi burnout instead of liffting. (see #2) You can literally watch the rubber being ripped off the track:doh:

At almost every "all diesel" event I ask in the Drivers Meeting what the running order will be and if the track will be prepped before the faster classes run or after the ET guys. If not, I have had good success running slightly out of the groove where the track is a little "fresher". Although, it is a very fine line.

I rarely have traction problems at other events with mainly "drag tire" cars.

Now, before all the kiddies get their panties wadded up LOL, I'm not suggesting anything "bad" about the ET guys!! It is just a nature of the vehicle. But also some commonsense needs to be used when racing a "non race" vehicle. Another thing is the track personnel need to be informed and aware of what will happen and be willing to do the additional prep that will be needed.

Hey phill when was the last time u raced a diesel? Even us e.t. guys need clean rubber so we can get traction so don't try and talk like u know what your talking about.

I f you put your truck in 4wd you wouldn't need to...

But there is a big difference between a burnout and cleaning the tires off...a burnout is more than a few rotations and is used to get drag slicks up to tempand air pressure. Cleaning your tires should just be a real quick spin and hardly be a few feet. Its just like dockboy said, big Smokey burnouts are in needed and tear the track up.

Last edited:
i dont think greg was talking about burnouts in the burnout box...thats what its there for. he meant spinning off the line. no one tries to spin off the line.

I do use 4wd and I do need to clean my tires off still. Wet dirty tires equal breakage. I agree big burnouts are a waste on street tires. But no need to call all of the e.t. class out! And burnouts on drag tires are not to increase air pressure but to soften the rubber up threw heat build up phill.

After talking with the track guys that night. They were using a new VHT compound, did not know how it would work in the cold and they were not using enough. They said with the new stuff you should be using about 10 gallon a night. They were only at 7.5 to 8 with the old stuff and dont think they changed anything.

I do use 4wd and I do need to clean my tires off still. Wet dirty tires equal breakage. I agree big burnouts are a waste on street tires. But no need to call all of the e.t. class out! And burnouts on drag tires are not to increase air pressure but to soften the rubber up threw heat build up phill.
Wait, I'm certain I remember you saying that 4wd boosted launches yeilded you no better times, so you would just use 2wd. Why don't you get your story straight.

There was something on that track, and it wasn't soot. Myself and every gas car I watched after, lost it at the exact same spot. I ran the lane earlier and had no traction problems, next time down with a stock HP truck and spun like it was on ice.

Yup, happened to me a few times too.

That smoke is blowing raw fuel and oil out the pipe onto OUR track.

Yeah, I've heard that one before too.

Someone in the bracket class did have coolant leaking bad.They left a puddle in line 4. It wasn't a 6 leaker but a Dodge. THATS RIGHT! A DODGE!!!!

Scared me 'cause I didn't see it 'til I pulled up and thought it came from my truck, lol.

My story is straight its MY truck I should know how I run it! How about u talk about how to race a truck once YOU have done it not just read about how to do it.

My story is straight its MY truck I should know how I run it! How about u talk about how to race a truck once YOU have done it not just read about how to do it.
Ouch it's not me this time.
As far as the compound on the track I'm still trying to get some of that stuff off of my truck! It was slung all down the side of my truck. I was spinning in 4x4 that is something I'm not use too. A recent development in my new programming and Turbo combination.

As far as telling ET trucks to put it in 4WD so they don't need a burnout, what if it's a 2WD? Or a Chevy without tie rod sleeves (may as well be 2WD)?

Through lots of experimentation I have found that my particular street tires need a quick 1st gear burnout in the water to clean them off and heat them up, otherwise they will spin even with a stock tune.

From what I have seen, street tires alone isn't what tears up the track, but street tires spinning sure do. As was mentioned above, guys who stay in it while frying the tires (or tire) for half the track are really ruining the surface for everyone.

I will do short burn outs depending on the track I am at. If the staging lanes are "dirty", or my tires have picked up a lot of junk, coming back, I will do a short burnout to clean the tires off. There are also tracks that make you go through the water. In both of these cases it's better to get the tires cleaned off, before you launch then clean them off at the starting line.

Paul

Wait, I'm certain I remember you saying that 4wd boosted launches yeilded you no better times, so you would just use 2wd. Why don't you get your story straight.
That was me i use 4x4 in the 1/8 and 2x4 in the 1/4 power loss at the big end!

That was me i use 4x4 in the 1/8 and 2x4 in the 1/4 power loss at the big end!

What kind of difference in ET and trap speed do you see between 2wd and 4wd in the 1/4, and what is your 60' for each?

these guys soot the track. Sometimes, the pro mods have to run right behind them. Definitely can't help traction.

JetCar1.jpg

my problem was watching the guys that were 4wd put the front tires right through the water box and drag water up to and sometimes past the starting line in both lanes. so when i went to go launch and the tires lit up like they were on ice.

Back