Sound System

VAW

I'm getting ready to redo my whole audio system. I just wanted to see what some other people had done.

My new truck is getting:
OEM head unit
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 DSP
Mosconi AS 200.4 (2 of these)
Focal 165KRX3 front stage
JL Audio 12W6v2 sub
Fully deadened and dampened cab
Streetwires ZN6 interconnects
Monster Cable power wire

What kind of vehicle do you have? What do you mainly listen to? What's your budget? Do you want to just bolt new speakers in and jam, or take the time and do it right?
Picking out the right speakers is 90% of the work. The other 10% is in the details; shortest wire runs possible, clean connections, clean power, tuning, sound deadening, isolating the speakers from the door, etc..

Reverse that...install is what makes of breaks a system.
I can take a 2000 dollar set of speakers and make them sound like crap (trust me...I've done it)...and take stock speakers and make them sound phenomenal.
Install quality 1st....equipment comes 2nd.

I've got a 94 ford f350 cclb and I mainly listen to rock and country. I want to redo everything new speakers subs the works.

Reverse that...install is what makes of breaks a system.
I can take a 2000 dollar set of speakers and make them sound like crap (trust me...I've done it)...and take stock speakers and make them sound phenomenal.
Install quality 1st....equipment comes 2nd.

Well, yea.. Someone can purposely make a system sound like crap, stock or good quality speakers. I agree with what you're saying there Rich. BTW, I really like that Mosconi amp you posted up. Super sleek.

I've got a 94 ford f350 cclb and I mainly listen to rock and country. I want to redo everything new speakers subs the works.

How much do you want to spend? Do you want to just replace door speakers and plug them to the head unit plus the addition of a sub? Or are you wanting to pump some power to your highs with an amp? Are you going with component speakers? Are you set on any specific brand yet?

I've got around 2000 to spend and I want as much power as I can get.

My new truck is getting:
OEM head unit
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 DSP
Mosconi AS 200.4 (2 of these)
Focal 165KRX3 front stage
JL Audio 12W6v2 sub
Fully deadened and dampened cab
Streetwires ZN6 interconnects
Monster Cable power wire

Reasoning?

Not trying to derail, just curious, about to do my first system.

I've got around 2000 to spend and I want as much power as I can get.

I give up.. You're being too fukin broad. Do some damn research first then come back with well thought out questions. :bang

I don't really know what I want that's why I was wanting opinions and what other people had done. I had rockford fosgate and kicker in my ranger.

I don't really know what I want that's why I was wanting opinions and what other people had done. I had rockford fosgate and kicker in my ranger.

It's just like anything else. I can't get good advice on mods if I say, I've got $10k to spend on truck mods, what should I do?

For 2K you can get the speakers upgraded. Or just keep the system you have and add a mono block, subs and box. You doing the work yourself or having it done? If having it done, the wiring work alone could be $1,000. I just reworked my system, $1200 in head unit, $800 for subs, $1300 for sub amp, 900 for 4 channel amp, $900 for 6 new speakers, $160 for new tweets, $300 for new street wiring and monster cables. This does not include sound deadening material anywhere. If all you want is big power, just add SPL subs and amp and be done. If you want SQ, spend some time and think about what you really want.

Reasoning?

Not trying to derail, just curious, about to do my first system.

Google the Fosgate DSP...no need to spend a lot of coin on a head unit. Especially if his truck had all the bells ad whistles in it already.

I'll probably do most of the work myself, because me and a friend did all the installation in my ranger.

Install is the key. The BEST system I ever had was in a Dodge Neon. Magnadyne tweeters in dash, Hafler 6.5" mids in doors, Magnadyne tweeters and Hafler 4" mids in a pod on the back deck aimed at rear window and 15 degree angles out. Head unit was a Clarion mid grade, Clarion 9200eq for processing, mid grade Clarion 4 channel amp for separates and a mid-grade Clarion 2 channel amp running mono on a PSI 12" sub (this was a sub that Keating designed and had made and sold in his stereo shop). I spent a week working on speaker aiming & sound deadening doors and headliner, a week on the sub enclosure (which was the spare tire well where I sat the tire up against the back seat and used the rest of the well as an enclosure using Dynamat, steel bars bolted to the well to deaden it, and cans of 3M rubber undercoating).

This system at retail was under $2000. I've never built anything that sounded as good.

Take time with the details. Run power and signal wires away from other wiring in vehicle if you can.

Back