Source on 1.6 IDI perfromance?

Oh Billy.....

404971_10150611043850850_777585849_11102997_531596059_n.jpg

If you do a timing belt, let me know, I have all the tools to do so if you need them.

One of the guys at work has everything for it, even a timing kit for the IP. I'm trying to remember where all these damn coolant lines go now.

personally if it was my own project I would rather use a 5 cylinder merc diesel. Its displacement will help you out a lot with using it in an suv. Thats just me though I wouldnt drive anything I couldnt burn the tires off. I do have a tdi project that Im working on as we speak for daily driving and better fuel economy, but... when its done it will be able to smoke all the tires off. haha

For the price I'm not going to snuff my nose at this engine. I traded around and got a 94 yota 4x4 extra cab. The engine is apart on my box,waiting on the pump and injectors to make a trip to SDX. And I have a Turbo to use for the low pressure in some twins.

I would seriously do a port job on the intake. It is as bad or worse than the Cummins. Also the exhaust can be ported slightly.

Posted via Velocity LG ALLY

Sorry late to the party.

Welcome to VolksWagen Diesel is the only place to go for idi stuff. TDI club has a section, but not much to be learned there.

1.6 bottom end with a 1.9 head (extensive port work) on a single turbo on fuel made just shy of 200hp. This was with a Giles pump (he sets up gov springs, mods the timing piston, afc work, flow bench, ect...), stock injectors. It was the short block out of one of my cars and then Dave (passenger on CompD) put his head and other bits on it. EDIT: Found it: http://www.automotive.passengerindus.../Passenger.wmv Mustang dyno, repeated slow pulls no dyno spikes, an honest 190+hp

I did 155hp / 172ft lbs with a pump I modded myself, same basic mod's as the ve cummins . It has been a few years since I messed around with them.

If you do end up with a 1.9 idi pull the crank, have the snout welded up and machined for a tdi crank pulley. This will save you a smashed up engine.

Last edited:
I joined vwdiesel.net weeks ago. LOL

This one is confirmed as a 1.6, and the head has small cracks so I am keeping an eye out for one to port. Did you ever go through with building a compound set for yours?

This one is confirmed as a 1.6, and the head has small cracks so I am keeping an eye out for one to port. Did you ever go through with building a compound set for yours?

I'd probably take it back from where it came and throw it in the guy's yard to make a statement. :soap:

Like a non ic cummins head, I would be surprised if there weren't cracks in the heads. If you can't fit a penny into the crack, you are fine.

Posted via Velocity LG ALLY

That guy ripped me off! LOL

I plan in running this head for a while.

Don't know if I have ever seen a 1.6 head that didn't have some cracking.

I did build one set of twins, I used the 1.9 turbo, a T25 iirc it is a bit smaller then the 1.6, and then a T3 60trim off a ford turbo coupe. It made about 45psi overall boost, I didn't monitor the drive or the primary boost. It quite easily cleaned up all the fuel I had out of a self modded pump.

I think Dave's would have done well with something about the same size as the stock turbo, and an HY35 as a primary.

I have another friend that did ~160whp on a single GT20 turbo.

I will be more than happy to get 140hp or so from this one. I have a turbo off another VW diesel that is about 5mm bigger than the one this engine had stock. Would you think an HX30 would be save on stock internals?

I will be more than happy to get 140hp or so from this one. I have a turbo off another VW diesel that is about 5mm bigger than the one this engine had stock. Would you think an HX30 would be save on stock internals?

I don't know anyone that has blown up stock internals yet.

Quite a few VW guys (gassers mainly) have used chinese turbos with good success.

contact Giles for pumps (he can get +20hp with pump mods alone).

Prothe Sucks stay away from anything he sells.

Back